Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 54.163.35.238

Forum Moderators: not2easy

Message Too Old, No Replies

Audio Issues

Audio links are causing blank pages

     

imahousedj

7:49 pm on Aug 15, 2006 (gmt 0)

5+ Year Member



hey im having an issue with my audio links
everything was just fine when i was using my cable server
you would click on the link and depending on the format realaudio or mp3 the player would open independently from the browser.
recently i have redone my sight most importantly i bought a domain name for my home server and now...
when an audio link is clicked the file opens in the proper player but...heres the problem, the page that was being viewed goes blank!
if you refresh the page everything is fine
its odd if you ask me..is there a simple refresh command i can include that only works if a link is clicked?
thanks in advance

limbo

10:06 am on Aug 16, 2006 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member



Hi Imahousedj

Welcome to webmasterworld :)

Can you post a short code snippet so we can see how you have linked to the audio + what browser are you using?

Cheers, Limbo

imahousedj

11:48 pm on Aug 16, 2006 (gmt 0)

5+ Year Member



Thanks for the welcome :)
heres the code its in the middle of a table

<td><a href="http://example.com/satRday.rm"><font face="impact" color="blue" size="+2"><center> satRday </center></font></a></TD>
<td><a href="http://example.com/m3u"><font face="impact" color="blue" size="+2"><center>fri080505
</center></font></a></TD>
the m3u and rm files read as such

<snip>

i have found that i can not use my domain name for the mp3 and the ram-ra extensions are mixed up.
im currently trying to rewrite everything using css just to clean things up but i dont see how any that would make the browser go blank.

again thanks for the help

[edited by: limbo at 8:11 am (utc) on Aug. 17, 2006]
[edit reason]
[1][edit reason] examplified urls [/edit]
[/edit][/1]

imahousedj

3:16 pm on Aug 17, 2006 (gmt 0)

5+ Year Member



sorry about the improper post.

limbo

12:21 pm on Aug 20, 2006 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member



HI imahousedj

Don't worry about the post. You can read more in the Terms of Service [webmasterworld.com]

I have recreated your problem here - I don't have the same issue you describe - the audio file opens in my audio player within the page - In my case it's quicktime (firefox).

From what I can gather some audio files require the server mime type to be set up to play them - this is evident for mp3 files. Other problems with mp3 files might occur too like firewall blockage.

You could consider two other options:

  • The Embed tag - works well across most browser/system/network combinations.
  • The Object tag - which doesn't because of Internet Explorer's lack of support.

    Ironically the Embed tag is deprecated and is not standards compliant but the Object tag is.

    So the choice is up to you, use <object> - it's standards compliant code with lousy support or <embed> with wider support but invalid.

    There is one option to make the object tag work - a technique that nests object tags that's valid html and is supported in IE and other browsers - I have never used it though as I don't do much with Audio - I'll see if I can dig up the bookmark.

  • imahousedj

    5:52 pm on Aug 22, 2006 (gmt 0)

    5+ Year Member



    Thank you limbo. its funny, i dont think i know as much as i think i know these days. if you come across any links to
    "a technique that nests object tags that's valid html and is supported in IE"
    that would be great. i will try a little googl-fu on it.
    again thanks
    imahousedj

    imahousedj

    9:29 pm on Aug 23, 2006 (gmt 0)

    5+ Year Member



    so i think i got it!
    really simple, i was linking using the full ULR in my link.
    <a href="www.example.com/file/file.m3u">
    all that was needed was to drop the domain name
    <a href="/file/file.m3u">
    anyways thanks for the help
    imahousedj
     

    Featured Threads

    Hot Threads This Week

    Hot Threads This Month