Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 126.96.36.199
Anyone have any ideas?
I've added somedomain.com as a negative but it's not working, the ad is still showing.
yes, you are being impatient ;) give it a little longer.
just to clarify so you can avoid some of the mistakes that I made over the years:
I believe you should add "site somedomain.com" as a negative "phrase" for it to work.
-site at either the campaign (if you enter it with the - sign at the campaign level, it will properly strip off the - sign) or -site at the ad group level, just be sure you're not shooting yourself in the foot. You may have the word "site" as a legit keyword somewhere in your campaigns! I have gotten several such "battle scars" in both feet over the years ;)
Unless you are an affiliate whose TOS prevent you from using the parent domain as a keyword, I'm not sure you want to simply want to exclude "somedomain.com" from searches.
I've noticed that some confused searchers type the domain they want into the search box, rather than the browser address bar. You don't want to lose those folks, IMO.
Also, while I'm sure you've thought this out and have good reason to exclude the site advanced operator, may I throw this out?
Assuming you own 'somedomain.com', are you certain you want to exclude folks using the "site" operator to find it? After all, they are looking for your site and some term found on it. Perhaps they represent potential customers?
Unless of course you are getting tons of such queries, then it is likely they are competitors or similar maybe using a script.
Just a 'snack' for thought...
Which leads me to a final thought: While I haven't noticed 'site:widgets.com' turning up in my logs, long ago I noticed that I was getting many thousands of impressions, but only the rare click on certain [exact match] keywords that I felt only a truly interested customer would manage to search on.
The reason turned out to be some of the other advanced Google operators which for certain were only being used by competitors and potential competitors' scripts. No doubt trying to feel out the marketplace and other competition on Google.
They may not be looking for a particular ad words ad, but if the pages that they turned up had one of my ads on it, I got counted for an impression. It was ruining my CTR.
I'd suggest adding these as Campaign Level negative keywords:
The suggestion was posted here ages ago, at least when I read it. The crazy, implausible amount of impressions went away, well overnight anyway, if not quite in 10 minutes ;)
Those many who are wiser than me, feel free to shoot me down where I'm off on any of this....
i'd guess that the operator "site:" and other operators don't get parsed into the keywords being processed like it's a keyword itself, so trying to block the operator won't work.