I have done the opposite - de-automation.
I have switched all my responsive ads back to 300x250s, because -
1. Google's "auto ad selection" splatters the ads all over the place horizontally, causing pages to FAIL GOOGLE's OWN online emulator.
2. They do NOT respect ANY ad container you specify.
3. Stories RIGHT HERE that describe over-writing page navigation.
4. I feel their so-called AI, is too aggressive with the ad sizes they provide - ALWAYS BIGGER.
5. At their current SOTA (State of the Art), this is a FLAW, a detriment, certainly not an advantage.
Do the "Auto Ad Sizes" work for you?