joined:Aug 2, 2006
I know AdWords quite well but am fairly new to the AdSense side of things. I'm trying to increase ad revenue for a website that hasn't been updated in quite awhile.
Near the top of the page is a 468 x 60 banner that was set to "text ads only" for quite some time. I did a bit of research and it seems like the general consensus is that switching to "text & image" should generate a lift in revenue. I went ahead and made this change to the ad and almost immediately saw a HUGE drop in revenue.
Here's what I've noticed so far:
- The number of ad requests have gone from about 5,000-15,000 a day to only about 500. and earnings have dropped with it.
- Clicks are way down too, though I'm not sure why because click-through-rate is about the same.
- CPC has gone way up from about .50 to $1.00
- Ad request RPM is about the same.
- Traffic during this time has dropped slightly, but not nearly enough to be responsible for the drop in revenue.
I'm not sure what to do from here. Should I change it back or just ride it out and hope that ad requests go back up over time?
What exactly happens when you tell Google to open up your ad space to images as well as text and how does this affect the ad requests or other things that could cause a revenue drop? Anything else I'm missing here?