I knew something was wrong when my AdSense income didn't rebound after Xmas. Every year it takes a big slide starting around Thanksgiving and then plunges into the toilet from a couple of days before Xmas until New Years. Then it rebounds to normal, at least in most years.
In case you missed it, I recently posted about finding lots of alternate ads running, image ads running wildly off topic, and being overrun with educational affiliates.
I did the following in order:
- disabled image ads, no change.
- blocked online education affiliates, slight increase
- sudden decrease for days, turned out to be alternate ads running amok
- fixed alternate ad problem (needed AdSense support for some), small increase
- fixed a few minor SEO issues I found, always tweaking the SEO, always
- waited a few days, CTR started to rise
- re-enabled image ads, CTR improved even more
- enabled IBA's but reports not showing many impressions, clicks pay well (so far)
Now the CTR, eCPM and of course earnings are returning to a post Thanksgiving level.
Had I been paying attention and fixed these things a couple of months ago I'm sure it would've lessened my normal holiday downturn.
The important thing is all negative factors that I could find have been addressed and everything appears to be returning back to normal.
Now it's back to working on traffic again.