Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 188.8.131.52
I'll make you a deal: if you all, the members of the AdSense WebmasterWorld forum, can agree on your top 5 asks in order of priority, I will personally email the Director of Product Management for all AdSense products with your list.
So lets get it started.
joined:Dec 10, 2005
[edited by: LifeinAsia at 11:36 pm (utc) on Nov. 19, 2008]
* blocked ad list, what ads would have been, when there is no filter
The blocked ad list would be very usefull to see unwanted side effects of the blocking by phrases.
For example, I have a block list for words.
When one of this words is in a form, the form is not sent.
This was because of terrible form email spaming.
There was CIALIS on the block list.
What an unluck, that speCIALISt contains exactly this,
and so some important forms had been not sent to me.
Or maybe I block a big ad company for a single bad ad campaign.
When I would see actual ads from this company,
which would have been on my site,
I would remove this domain from the filter list.
Or maybe a domain name is sold. The new owner makes complete different ads.
Let's imagine an example screen
blocked in filter ads last month view blocked ads
quickmoney.com 555 Click
So I could see, quickermoney.com has given up AdWords,
needs no longer to use up space in the filter
* wild card feature of URL channels
I have URL channels like
and so on
To watch only what's the total earnings of all my reports from 2008,
I need - English and German - 50 URL channels
Should bring in one URL channel all together.
Another option I'd like is have the click open a new window rather than lose my visitor.
I have messed up my German search box.
I visited the advanced features. Since this, I want "open search results in a new window" but it does not work, opens search results always in the same window.
Please debug the improved search box.
2) Block ads by keyword.
3) Update the GAS login so I can use my current Google account email to login. Currently if I try to login to GAS with my email and password it says I have to migrate the accounts or something despite the fact that the email and password used for the GAS and Account login are exactly the same.
Currently I have to login to Account and then go to GAS where it must recognise the cookie saying I am logged in!
4) Have a referral system so when advertisers contact me for advertising I can send them a link and make a commission from any money they spend.
5) Install a system where I can sell specific areas of my site in addition to the 3 adblocks we all have now.
I would like to be able to sell specific sizes of ads without the Ads by Google, approve them myself and have GAS manage all the payments etc.
6) Alternatively, create code that I can use on my site which sells ads via GAS.
In other words I would like to sell direct advertising more agressively, but would prefer to use GAS's reach and payment system to help me do this.
The code I would put on my site would allow advertisers to target a specific ad slot on my site, then bid for it etc.
The code would of course force the advertiser to be an Adwords member but would make it easy for each site to sell their own ad spots via google.
This is in addition to the 3 ad blocks. I have been looking for a way I could get potential advertisers to upload their ad which I approve and then get them to bid for placements.
I know that if Google does this I would make less than selling the ads directly but that is the price I am willing to pay for a simple payment system and the technological know how and the reach G has.
joined:May 6, 2005
I vote for minimum bid filters for channels. Or minimum CPC filter, same thing.
I vote for keyword filters on channels. (Keywords are already hooked to each AdWords ad) There needs to be a way to filter crap ads off our pages by the use of keywords.
I vote for wild card "*" key on all filters.
I vote for 500 filters on each channel.
- more elaborate tools to block unwanted ads/advertisers such as "block this advertiser account" or "block by keyword" for the whole account or a particular site (the ad review doesn't even say which site is being targeted). Google should aggregate this info from publishers to review advertisers who seem abusive.
- On the other hand, the ability to categorize the topic of a site so we can avoid ambiguous themes ("The Doors" being a music group, not a renovation company) and positively help out Adsense bring more relevant ads. I know Adsense is contextual, it should be automatic and people could abuse this feature, but it could be used just to favor slightly a topic in case of possible confusion.
- More information on the status of a site being smart priced or not. Sometimes a site will reach a scary low in terms of revenue but we don't know if the reasons are seasonal, economical or if the site is smart priced, and we might end up doing stupid things to get out of smart pricing, like disabling ads on whole sections (ex: image gallery), while it was just an unrelated issue.
- Adsense preview tool for Firefox, pretty please (maybe integrate it to the google toolbar).
- Better control of ad links unit landing page colors. The colors for the ad doesn't always (make that almost never) translate well for the whole page listing all the advertisers. The old classic colors may have been inflexible but at least they weren't horrifying.
Old request that got answered:
- Integration of adsense to google analytics. THANKS GOOGLE (although I haven't seen it in my account yet).
This will reduce the number of "stats stuck" threads here and reduce speculation about the competence of the AdSense team.
If I know what time the figures refer to they will be useful figures and not a reason to worry or speculate about plex-freeze.
You guys are surfacing some good stuff. Keep it coming.
I don't know who is going to decide which are the 5 most important, but here are three:
1. My number one request is simply for you (ASA) to stay here and participate. If you see a discussion about a certain feature request and you've forwarded it on to the proper people, tell us.
If you see a discussion about a certain feature request and you know for some reason it just isn't in the cards anytime soon, tell us if you can. If you know I want a pony for Christmas really bad but you also know it's not going to happen, tell me now - don't let me anticipate it and be disappointed on Christmas morning.
2. More channels, lots more.
3. When I put a URL in the filter, give me a few check boxes or space for text so I can tell you why I placed that URL in my filter. It may be a competitor, it may be an ad that has nothing to do with my site topic, it may be a misleading ad, it may be an ad for an MFA site, etc. I think Google can learn a lot just by knowing why certain advertiser URL's are rejected by publishers.
1: keyword filter - do not display ads that match keywords "dating". (e.g. I have pages related to chat, but it's mostly for teens who do not want to see adult dating ads, it's a waste of my impressions)
2: keyword filter
3: keyword filter
4: keyword filter
5: keyword filter
This would make ads on publishers sites more relevant, give publishers more revenue and make advertisers target more relevant content.
from what i understand the integration will be even more beneficial than more channels would be.
it appears that only a few people so far have been given the invite - anxiously awaiting ours.
1. Fill each ad slot with the number of ads it was designed for.
It's like shouting at visitors and breaks site design when a big rectangle only contains two ads and even more annoying when you see the small arrows below the ads just to realize that there are enough ads to fill the space completely.
2. Customizable fonts, at least within a certain range (ok, you seem to work on that [webmasterworld.com] already).
This would give a better optical integration (not talking about 'blending' here) on certain sites and could also help fighting ad blindness because right now each ad across the internet looks the same.
2. Unlimited filter by keywords, domains, advertisers, ip address
Better stats - Would like to see what is displaying in real time for different regions within countries and comprehensive stats for these ads.
Letting us add our own adverts into the adsense system that appear within ad blocks (not replacing the entire ad block), say I have an affiliate account with a widget provider, and the adsense system thinks that a ad should appear for the widget provider, instead of displaying an adwords PPC'ers account for the provider, show mine instead. While that is not relevant to every site, for those of us with forums it could prove beneficial. (yeah I could setup a adwords account to do this, but then I would be bidding against other adwords account users on my own site)
In theory minimum CPC could be set using ad manager, though not tried/tested/compared results.
joined:June 3, 2007
I guess some sectors have plenty of good ad inventory.
I will add smart pricing information to my wish list, but I won't be holding my breath on that one.
corrected typo in edit
[edited by: OnlyToday at 2:28 pm (utc) on Nov. 20, 2008]
2. Honor the ad format the publisher chooses (the number of ads within the ad unit).
3. Show per-channel conversion rates and Smart Pricing status (so we can remove ads from poorly-converting pages).
4. Keyword-based filter (your human/bot editors miss a lot of illegal content; yes, illegal in the US).
5. Block by advertiser ID
[edited by: true_INFP at 9:05 pm (utc) on Nov. 20, 2008]