joined:Sept 13, 2004
After Panda, and various other improvements by Google, I've had the desire to see enumerated Google search results pages, making it easier to see how far you've fallen, (or climbed) in the SERPs. I thought about a custom style sheet, but then realized all one has to do is turn off styles! Just "View", "Page Style", "No Style" and poof enumerated Google search results. (In Firefox you can install a No Styles toolbar button. But it doesn't toggle?)
There are many benefits to this technique.
1. You accurately know your ranking (using 100 results mode, well maybe?)
Don't forget the "Ctrl" "-" , "+", and "0" key combos for web page zoom out, in, and default.
(Oh yes, another tip, use "Ctrl +" to simulate a mobile device and see when the horizontal scroll bar kicks in.)
2. Using your browser's text search, and highlight, opens up all sorts of analysis techniques.
3. Search for and highlight the word "similar" and zoom out to see your pages that are "similar".
4. Search for and highlight the word "cache", zooming out to find you have pages that aren't cached? ?
(I have no idea why I put a ROBOTS NOARCHIVE metatag on that page!)
5. Do a reading level search and highlight the words "reading level" and see all your pages that don't have one.
6. Then click "basic" and see an actual count of basic reading level pages.
7. See Google's own page coding "quirks". (Extra line feeds)
Another discovery I made in "No Styles" mode was when I clicked through to some pages of my site(s), I found I had forgotten to "re-sample" some of my images, in "No Styles" mode you may see huge images that have been scaled rather than re-sampled. Usually re-sampled images look better than scaled images, and they certainly load far more quickly. This could be an asset to finding slow loading pages.
Also in "No Styles" you'll discover the default sizes of HTML elements like an IFrame. Adsense ads show up in a 350 by 250 IFrame with scroll bars.
One far fetched thought is perhaps Google's page layout analysis may be interpreting style sheets poorly and misunderstanding page layout. So perhaps if your layout has good attributes with styles off ....