Anyone with experience on 301'ing an entire domain?
Yes. Less than 2 weeks ago. It went from being a -50 EMD to a first page EMD. Old domain name was EMD oldregion
keyword-servicenamekeyword.com -- migrated to newregion
The move was due to the owner actually moving geographical locations to an adjacent region, we weren't trying to run away from the beast. None the less, the beast doesn't know that. Yet, it was just ever so slightly over-optimized at the old domain name but it had 1st place in Google Places on page one so I didn't bother messing with it.
Seeing as how the move was going to cause a disruption anyway, I took it as an advantage to updated the 2 year old technology to HTML5 and made use of schema structured markup. I also deoptimized what I knew was wrong. Within just under 2 weeks she has taken the top spots across almost all search engines -- #1, #2, or #3. Google has it at bottom of page 1, spot #8 so far but they tend to take longer getting things done these days. But considering it was at -50 previously that's not bad -- pulled out of the filter.
On the old domain root I left a 301 in place to move all pages from old domain request to new one. No page names changed except the root EMD.
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.example.com/$1 [R=301,L]
That's all that's left at the old address.
And whether or not it helped to distinguish it from scraped content or not I added the <link rel="canonical" href="http://www.example.com/+whatever-subfolders/+whatever-pagenames.html" /> canonical tag to each page that I had not previously used.
I also had a few backlinks to that site under my control and deoptimized them a bit and pointed them to new domain. So far all looks good.
I think I'm at the point of 301'ing the entire site off to the .net of the same brand. From what I've read this practice can be seen as 'blackhat'.
Oh my gosh people are getting so paranoid. Just do whatever needs to be done as if the beast didn't exist.
This has been my very recent experience but of course your results may vary.