Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 188.8.131.52
in september 2007 I ran into duplicate content with my 2 domains, one www.mydomain.com and another one www.my-domain.com (with a slash). Until than the first domain ranked very well for its main keyword and combinations.
Before the problem occurred a site:mydomain.com would show all the URLs there were. After the problem occurred the same URL paths would suddenly show up under the second domain and a site:mydomain.com would return only a few results.
After discussing the problem here on webmasterworld, tedster confirmed that this is most likely a DC issue. So I installed a redirect 301 on the my-domain.com and as a result could observer how it took about half a year until a site:my-domain.com would return 0 results.
Today a site:my-domain.com still returns 0 results, but a site:mydomain.com only returns 27 pages all of which belong to my linkpartner area. All the other sites (about 40 000) do not show up anymore.
So at one point I added a sitemap, because I hoped that would anything. Well, I was wrong. Wonder why people use it?! Google read it and I have the following statistics:
Submitted Last time read Status URLS
27.02.2008 04.04.2008 OK 40060
If I click on Details I get the number of indexed URLs, which amounts to 37. All those URLs are linkpartner pages.
The only real difference between the URLs which are being indexed and are not, is that they have different extensions. The linkpartner pages have a .php extension, because I'm using a third party software. The ones not being indexed have no extension. Could that be the reason?
What else could be the reason that google ignores the rest of the site? Has anybody ever experienced similar symptoms?
If you mean by "Is your domain root indexed" that a site:www.example.com yields a result set of which one of the urls path only exists of the "/" like http://www.example.com/, then the answer is yes, such a url shows up in the index.
I checked it but I only see 14 HTTP 404 Errors. On the content analysis I get 12 errors saying that I use duplicate titles and metas in my linkpartner webpages. I think those errors have nothing to do with problem at hand, so.
No I have not considered it, because I heard that you only have to do this, if you website has been banned (site: return nothing and page rank 0 or does not show up).
I have to correct something I said however in previous post. The urls which are not being index, are either directories or their extension is .html. So it's not correct what I said, that all the not indexed urls have no extension. They all end in "/" or ".html".
I think I will remove the linkpages and see whether or not google will pick up the other directories/pages.
[edited by: tedster at 5:02 pm (utc) on April 8, 2008]
[edit reason] switch to example.com - it cannot be owned [/edit]
It is possible that a technical error is the problem; like clicking each internal navigation link passing through a redirect before arriving at the real content, for example.
I would also ensure that your 301 redirect really is a 301 redirect. A 302 redirect would be a total disaster for example.
The linkpartner pages have a .php extension, because I'm using a third party software. The ones not being indexed... all end in "/" or ".html".
That almost sounds like a pattern matching problem of some sort. You might want to check your rewrite code.