Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 188.8.131.52
Forum Moderators: mack
Search for <snip> - 9 of the top 10 is <snip>.com....almost all serps seem to look pretty much this way...url only titles and just poorer than ever.
[edited by: Brett_Tabke at 7:34 pm (utc) on Feb. 16, 2006]
[edit reason] I bet even <snip> itself has bad results ;) [/edit]
Yea, that was my thought too. I've seen a ton of spam tumble this update - but I've seen a ton of good sites drop too across the serps I watch. This isn't a spammy update - it's simply a *bad* update. I can't imagine they'd leave it like this for long.
Looks like a rollback pending an update to me. - whew - those are some smelly results..
This has got to be it. This really can't be by design.
I'm looking at one serp page that has a url result so long that it breaks the table and pushes the Sponsored Sites down below the "algorithmic" results (there's got to be an algo, right? ;) ).
Exactly - this should be there first aim - the level of deep indexing for a site is pathetic.
>>>> For a 100 page site with the word on every page it will first say "of 853 pages" then you click to the second page and it shows 57 results total.
Always happened and infuriates me too.
If I do a site search for www.domain.com I can see one of my pages with the title - say Red Widgets Limited.... So I think - hmmz how do I do for that term? and search on Red Widgets Limited - that page does not return in the serps but other pages that link to that page do which fair enough sometimes happens in other engines so I click more page from that site - and still the page does not return in the site search - even though I know MSN has it indexed - it is as if it has disappeared!
MSN has been fundamentally wrong for ages.
Things like sitemaps always outranking content pages still occurs - so many things wrong with this SE.
But lots of the problems we're seeing are not subjective. One site owning 10 or more straight listings; observable, absurd influence of kw-based domains on rankings; wrong pages being shown (e.g. for a pair of listings w/one indented, either one or both showing footer pages instead of content pages, when content pages used to be shown).
I'm sorta surprised that they did not flip this back overnight. Either this is a very temporary (and for some reason necessary) step on the way to better SERP's, or the patients have taken over the ward. One really has to wonder what's up.
2. Subdomain (Spammy title, all caps)
3. Subdomain (Spammy title, all caps)
4. Subdomain (Spammy title, all caps)
5. Subdomain (Spammy title, all caps)
6. Subdomain (url only, no title or desc)
7. Subdomain (Spammy title, all caps)
8. Subdomain (Spammy title, all caps)
9. Subdomain (Spammy title, all caps)
My thoughts entirely...Make the SERP's so horrendous that people will have to click on the advertisers to find results...Hmm...No wonder MSN wants to pay people to use their search engine.
I am in flat disbelief that MSN is using these SERP's.
They are so bad I had to take MSN search off my sites because I will not send my visitors to MSN when it's that terrible.
Two word popular search term in the sectors we watch:-
1-10 out of 5.9mil results
1. Spam site with doorway page
2. Duel listing for same doorway page above
3. Different site url but same doorway as 1&2 above to same site!
4. T & C page of an unrelated site bt i did find the keyword on it!
5. Duel listing of (4) but contains half the search term in the URL but page nothing to do with it.
6. Junk site that openly admits its part of a web link ring!
7. Fair site but nothing to do with the keyword - how did that get in?
8. 3 page site that has the search term in the url
9. This ones amazing! - single page site with text about the keyword but with nine outbound links to other sites down the left hand side! - Pure Junk
10. Division 4 site but at least its on toppic.
Its 17 before we see a quality site thats rich in contnt about the search term.
I think someones having a laugh here, they must be able to see this mess - perhaps they have been hit by hackers and just havent put a press release out yet?
Thank God my business is not SEO and providing a client with guaranteed Top 10 listings.