Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 220.127.116.11
Monkeying with a couple of severs here and things are starting to go weird.
When I have this...
AuthName "Why are you here?"
AuthUserFile /a location
...in my htaccess file, for some reason I can't send e-mail. When I remove it, I can. Why?
the mod_auth is working fine.
thanks for giving me a clue - I never remember to check my logs; this I have to chisel into my head.
Anyway, I have not been able to create any errors in my logs related to e-mail - that is, when e-mail gets bounced I have not seen anything appended to the logs (either error or access).
If I turn off the server, or remove the htaccess info I posted above, mail goes thru, otherwise I get this returned to me (shoulda posted this before...):
Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.
Sent:20/12/2003 6:14 PM
The following recipient(s) could not be reached:
'email@example.com' on 20/12/2003 6:14 PM
550 relaying to <firstname.lastname@example.org> prohibited by administrator
Does that give any clues?
Look in your server logs
192.****.x.xx - - [20/Dec/2003:17:23:13 -0800] "OPTIONS / HTTP/1.1" 401 23
192.****.x.xx - "" [20/Dec/2003:17:23:14 -0800] "OPTIONS / HTTP/1.1" 401 23
This may be an error that gets recorded when trying to send. Soo frustrating - I am not accessing the server, yet this shows up in the logs. Wrt e-mail, there is no 1:1 correlation between the e-mail bouncing and the logs recording.
Learning a lot about e-mail though!
Probably worth mentioning that, for what I know (and that's not much) I'm sending my e-mail through my ISP, not from sendmail or anything.
For purposes of motivation, *if* those 401s are being sent in response to requests by a computer that is some part of your mail-sending chain, then it should be possible to bypass authorization under those specific circumstances. But before trying to figure out how to fix the problem, let's nail down the definition of the problem first.
As to *why* this is happening -- I haven't a clue! :o
One of the advantages of having to read all the posts in this forum every day is that I learn a lot... :)
Thanks for the time and responses. It seems that I did something bad in a past life, because mail seems to be going fine now.
I have no idea why, what I do know is that for a day and a quarter I couldn't send mail if I was using mod_auth in an htaccess file in the root of the server - I'd remove it and it would work. Now it seems to work fine either way. Ugh.
Anyway, on to the next problem!