Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 3.84.130.252

Forum Moderators: Ocean10000 & phranque

Message Too Old, No Replies

htaccess help with dynamically created directories

having problems with dynamically created pages

     
8:56 pm on Aug 19, 2003 (gmt 0)

New User

10+ Year Member

joined:July 16, 2003
posts:3
votes: 0


I'm very new to using scripts and htaccess. I have modified my htaccess file to parse html files as if they are shtml files. This works fine in my root dir and the directories that are not dynamically created. However, when it comes to my subdirectories and pages that have been created through a php script (the pages are static html's, just created through a script) then they are not being treated as shtml.

I'm not sure where to even begin looking for the problem, since I know so little about using htaccess. One of the things that happens with these pages is that after they are created on my site, I cannot edit or delete them without running a script that changes their chmod and chown- (I think that changes the owner of the script-the chown). I ran that script to change the permissions on the files that I was testing but it still is not working...

I would appreciate any input or help...I am totally lost...

2:54 am on Aug 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

Senior Member

WebmasterWorld Senior Member jdmorgan is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member

joined:Mar 31, 2002
posts:25430
votes: 0


bcp1961,

Welcome to WebmasterWorld [webmasterworld.com]!

HOW did you modify your .htaccess to parse html files for SSI includes - Did you use AddType, or XBitHack?

Posting the specifics will get you more focused (probably better) answers. You likely have either a server features inheritance problem - having to do with AllowOverride, or a permissions problem - XBitHack requires the User execute bit to be set, IIRC. Or maybe it's something else...

Jim

5:29 pm on Aug 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

New User

10+ Year Member

joined:July 16, 2003
posts:3
votes: 0


Jim
Thanks for your message. I just discovered this morning that the problem was connected to the pages that I was testing on - the pages use <frameset> tags. The ssi include is for an access log script that I am starting to use on my site - and I thought that there was a problem because when I hit those pages in testing the script, they wouldn't show as logged. The answer was right in front of me!

Actually I didn't realize that frameset pages did not get logged until I did a little research, I found some suggestions to use a pixel gif on those type pages and then you could see how many times the image gets called, but I am interested in seeing when and if the SEO spiders are hitting those pages, so that doesn't help.

Thanks for your help :)
Bernadette

 

Join The Conversation

Moderators and Top Contributors

Hot Threads This Week

Featured Threads

Free SEO Tools

Hire Expert Members