Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 18.104.22.168
1. This registrar emphasized their concern for domain security. "Let no domain leave us unchallenged", in essence. Fine by me.
2. Bulk pricing about as good as any other.
3. User interface. Does all the needed tricks. Nice reports generated by the interface. Appears to be tailored for both those who register few and those who register many domains. Easy to understand. Easy to work. (I've seen some horrors in my day.)
4. Hey! Hurrah! I send an email to support and I get an intelligent, prompt reply. Who woulda thunk?
5. Sometimes you just have to go to the top to get things done. In my case, the top banana has intervened more than once when an aftermarket domain that I purchased was having a hard time coming loose from the existing registrar. I don't even care if it's someone using his official email addy on his behalf. Just get the job done.
6. Hey, my registrar is even smart enough to sponsor certain important events that webmasters attend. Who would have thunk!
7. Hey! Hurrah! When I telephone support I promptly get a real, live, intelligent person on the phone. I mean intelligent, well qualified, reassuring people who aren't playing pretend. Sorry, but about half the time with other registrars (I've used about 40) I'd get someone on the phone who sounded like they were looking up answers on a list.
8. I haven't heard any horror stories about 'em. No "We're fining you because someone filed a spam report based upon your link request."
9. Some of the very biggest domainers have chosen to do business with my registrar.
Okay, tell me: What makes you think your registrar has it over my registrar? What is it about your registrar that simply works better for you?
Remember: We ain't naming registrar names at this time, but at some point I'd like to assemble a single library thread where a rep of each major registrar attempts to lay out what makes them a better choice in any or all cases.
They don't charge me to administer my domain names.
Nice user interface that works.
Very good support desk that responds quickly and comprehensively.
And if I'm doing amateur dropcatching then it's crucial that when I click the submit button to register a domain that their system nabs the name for me and I don't lose it to someone else who is using a faster system.
Anyway, I also choose them because aside from the usual things such as easy control panel
and quick changes, their CEO is VERY proactive. That's very rare.
Assuming we're talking about the same guy, his wife just gave birth. ;)
The company we are with have looked after us for the last 4 years, nothing has been too much trouble. Email a question - a response (and usually a solution) comes back within an hour.
They are also in our country and I think its good to try and buy locally where possible.
You can tell they have built their system themselves and are not the biggest registrar in the world - I hope they succeed and don't get swallowed up by a bigger player as has happened to our preferred hosting company.
What they do?
What they don't do?
and so on.
For those with bulk domain requirements, they are probably a little pricey, but for those with under a hundred domains, the slight extra cost is worth it if only for the peace and quiet.
Times were that a few other mods and I were shouting their names to all and sundry, but times have changed and so I must keep Mum until allowed otherwise. :(
All domains are auto-locked
Purchasing is almost one click ( well 2 to be precise ;) )
and they're cheap enough ...
They also do not charge for moving out .. unlike a certain <bad, bad> registrar <snip><that I'd really like to point a finger to by describing their logo but I won't, because I'd like to drink a beer with the mod some day at a PubCon, so I won't give him a hard time.> ;)
[edited by: Webwork at 3:49 am (utc) on Sep. 19, 2005]
[edit reason] Can't name names or reference logos in lieu thereof [/edit]
*There will always be a need over here for different registrars for different reasons (APIs, tests, etc). -Feel the power of the dark side!
+ Excellent interface.
+ many "no cost" extras
+ The owner is known to take a direct interest in how things run and to ensure customer service. Got his email someplace, never needed to use it. (are we all talking about the same registrar?)
- Not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for
+ really really big. (stability is good)
+ excellent helpdesk
+ excellent prices
- Their website is very very ugly