Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 18.104.22.168
Forum Moderators: rogerd
But it needs more administration option.
Some back ground:
* I don't own this message board, I used to be a moderator there (moderators are elected by vote every 6-12 months).
* During my time as a moderator I have experienced extreme difficulties with moderation inthe forum as all aspects of deleting posts, banning users are primitive.
* From the users point of view there is no problem, perhaps except for the fact that there is no built in search function. But they don't mind a change in the forum software as long as it helps the moderators, considering that the threaded style doesnt change.
* I am looking for a forum software, with the above mentioned qualities, that is preferably free.
* Also can someone tell what forum software they are using? Is it a custom built?
* You will have to register (free) to view that forum.
Any help is appreciated.
[edited by: rogerd at 3:09 am (utc) on Jan. 22, 2005]
[edit reason] No URLs please... [/edit]
The threaded forum software titles that pop into mind are vBulletin (switchable between linear and threaded) and Allaire (not sure if this primitive software is still available). phpBB is linear, but there's at least one mod to make it threaded. I'm sure there are others that our members can suggest.
Problem is that there's not much OTHER than phpBB hacks/addons/fixes to do secure threaded these days. Allaire had MULTIPLE security holes - serious ones - in its last version (not even sure what that is now). There are some paid-hosting sorts of threaded fora out there, but I think that's not what you're wanting.
I would suggest you opt for the phpBB latest version with whichever of the thread-style fixes you like best (try phpBBHacks for a lot of usable fairly bug-free stuff if you can't find it at phpBB itself) and offer the option to either use the threaded style or the flat/linear style. You may find that people won't be too distressed by moving to the flat style....
vkaryl, I have tried phpbb and vbulletin suggested by Rogerd, unfortunately none of them have the "looks" that I am looking for. I am hoping that someone else will give my other suggestions.
If you use wwwboard, I highly recommend NOT putting it in a directory of that name (if the software allows that) - I looked at a few functioning boards, and all but one had spam posts. Disguise the software origins as much as possible to avoid being spammed by bots or humans.
Another possibility is Discusware - this is another Perl/CGI board that offers a sort of pseudo-threaded search view, although each thread develops in linear form from what I can tell.
Whatever you choose, be sure that it has strong security and admin/mod functions. Forum spam and forum hacks are a big problem these days, and you need all the firepower you can get.