joined:Apr 11, 2011
I have a 800,000 follower facebook page associated with my website. The Page has been in existence since 2008. It took about 5 years to build it to 100,000 and then the next year it grew to 500,000 pretty much all due to Facebook Page Recommendations.
For the last 2 years we have been posting twice a day, a link post in the morning and an image post in the afternoon. We've made changes as the algorithm has changed but, overall we've been doing the same thing for 2 years.
Starting on June 3-4 we hit a brick wall.
Reach is down from 100k a post to 10-20k a post.
New followers are down from 6,000 a week to 1,000 a week. (we lose about a 1,000 a week on average so we're actually in the negative)
Engagement is the same, about 5% per post.
So I'm going through Insights trying to figure out what's going on and I finally notice that our Hide Page stats are way up.
There is no reason for this to happen suddenly. We haven't made any major changes to our posts style in years.
If you look at the numbers you can see almost a 4x the number of Hide Posts in June than the previous months
hide_all_clicks = Hide All Posts from this page
hide_clicks = Hide this post
June - 1059 4023
May - 639 1172
April - 588 1034
March - 736 1251
Feb - 649 1091
There seem to be 2 possible conclusions.
1. Either Facebook introduced a new and easier way to click on "Hide Posts" in June,
2. Someone has maliciously targeted my page to decrease its post reach and follower growth by using the Hide Post feature to convince (very successfully) Facebook's algorithm that my posts are low quality.
So my questions are,
1. Facebook page managers/owners has anyone seen an increase in Hide Posts since June?
2. If this is indeed an attack on my page, what can I do about it? Is there any live Facebook Support.
3. Has anyone heard of this sort of attack? what would be the purpose? It's not like my pages reach is taking away reach from someone else's page. It doesn't work like that. It's not Negative SEO and this is not Google's algorithm and there's no #1 spot in the SERPS to fight over.
I was thinking I could use Facebook's open graph search to find a pattern in my new followers starting in June but it seems that it no longer exists.
I exported Facebook Insights for my page and posts and while the breadth of the data is quite amazing, I can't seem to find a clue or even know what to look for.
I wanted to use the country and city report to see if there was an increase in followers from certain countries on June 2nd, but it's just too much data.
I was thinking I can use Facebook's Target by Location for every post to avoid countries where spammers operate, but that is about 50% of my audience.
Our July 4th post would be a good post to test this out on since it's only of interest to Americans.
Also, every time I've attempted to target a post the numbers drop dramatically.
However, if these are bot users created and owned by one person, it is possible that by targeting specific countries I can hide my posts from him so that he can no longer "Hide my Posts" which would give me a chance to regain momentum with reach and followers.