Seeking information about the domain names sales process
8:12 pm on Jun 20, 2012 (gmt 0)
...and I have no idea what to do. Is there a good website, or a resource page, or even better, something someone on here has posted? Thanks :-)
8:24 pm on Jun 20, 2012 (gmt 0)
I'll bite..what is a "DM" ?
it isn't short for Domain.."Domain" doesn't abbreviate..it could just possibly abbreviate to "Dom" ..:)
[edited by: Leosghost at 8:26 pm (utc) on Jun 20, 2012]
8:25 pm on Jun 20, 2012 (gmt 0)
sorry, was running out of space in title - 'domain name" :-)
8:28 pm on Jun 20, 2012 (gmt 0)
OK :) they want to buy an existent "live" domain..?
or a domain name that you have "parked"..?
And what did they say ( avoid specifics, don't post the name or the "niche" )..that will let us see if it is a genuine enquiry ..or an "evaluation scam"..of which there are many ..
8:30 pm on Jun 20, 2012 (gmt 0)
live - offered $#*$!x.00 - not sure of validity ... yet.
8:40 pm on Jun 20, 2012 (gmt 0)
he's offered to pay 50% via paypal prior, and 50% after transfer (not going to do that) or through escrow.com (not sure about that). I talked with GoDaddy and they have a 'buy' service, but it includes an appraisal... which I'm not keen on getting involved with. They will however allow me to auction it and have the buyer bid; that might be a good bet?
8:55 pm on Jun 20, 2012 (gmt 0)
I think escrow.com is the way to go (both of us have an account at GoDaddy), so we will see if this is all for real :-)
11:08 pm on Jun 20, 2012 (gmt 0)
I was just browsing your great site. I really like what you have done and would love the opportunity to build on it.
So I wonder whether you would consider selling the site? If that is a possibility please let me know and I will send you a proposal that won't disappoint you.
If you could please get back to me either way I would very much appreciate it.
He offered x amount, I said I'd want at least x amount. He then asked "Do you think you could give me Google Analytics access so I can take a quick look at the stats and assess if I'm able to raise my offer." I gave him user access for about 20 mins. as I'm not monetizing this domain, and I could really care less what someone would do with my analytic data for this site (it's an information site, not e-commerce, nor is it drawing a lot of traffic... but it does rank #1, #2 and sometimes #3 for some pretty popular keywords that could be monetized). He replied "Traffic is pretty much as expected... Well, I could meet you somewhere in the middle, let's say $#*$!x but that's definitely as high as I can go." Then he offered "Well, we could either use Escrow.com or Paypal if 50% upfront and 50% after the transaction is ok.
Escrow.com is slower, it would be next week until we can complete the transaction but it's more secure.
Paypal is instant, I could send you 50% immediately, then we transfer the domain and site content which shouldn't take long and then I pay you the other 50%. All this shouldn't take more than a few hours."
I declined PayPal, and agreed to escrow.com, at this point I thought I'd not hear back from him, but according to escrow.com he's initiated a wire transfer- so I'm waiting for escrow.com to tell me they have the money. Nothing moves till then, nothing. Searching his name/email address doesn't really offer much in the way of help. He could be this guy or that guy, or a phoney. So we will see. I'd say the guy's a flake... but the fact escrow.com confirms the $#*$!x wire transfer was initiated makes it interesting.
6:16 pm on Jul 2, 2012 (gmt 0)
We went through escow.com. I transferrd the domain name from my GoDaddy account to the buyers GoDaddy account. I gave the buyer ftp access to download the site. Each step pof the process required the seller to indicate a completion; eg. received site/domain. After the seller had confirmed he received what he had purchased, he 'completed' the sales process... which allowed escrow.com to release the money to my bank. In my case, I'm just waiting for the wire transfer of funds from escrow.com. It went along quite easily. There would have been issues though, if the buyer hadn't wanted to proceed with the sale as one cannot easily 'transfer' back the domain name. There are rules where a domain name cannot be transferred until after 60 days of a prior transfer... so it would have been messy if the buyer backed out of the deal.
7:27 pm on Jul 2, 2012 (gmt 0)
There are rules where a domain name cannot be transferred until after 60 days of a prior transfer... so it would have been messy if the buyer backed out of the deal.
francie, that "transferred until after 60 days" is only really if you transfer the domain to another registrar other than Godaddy. Like if you wanted to transfer it to Network Solutions, Moniker, NameCheap, etc.
It can be transferred back to your Godaddy account if the domain name is still at Godaddy. If the buyer, upon receipt of the domain, transferred it out of Godaddy, then it could not be transferred back to Godaddy--you would have to open up an account where the domain name is currently registered.
7:32 pm on Jul 2, 2012 (gmt 0)
This is important news, and something I will be cognizant of should this type of thing occur again. Thanks for the tip :-)
1:15 pm on Jul 13, 2012 (gmt 0)
bhartzer the buyer can not move the domain from godaddy for I think 45 days. This is done to keep fraud down in the buying and selling of domains.