Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 54.166.222.116

Forum Moderators: buckworks & webwork

Message Too Old, No Replies

Offer to buy a domain now, or wait for it to expire?

     
4:33 pm on Oct 30, 2008 (gmt 0)

5+ Year Member



I saw this posted here before, but every situation is different so...I am looking at a domain name that fits my business very well. It is not being used, however it is owned by a large company whose only business is domain names and is set to expire in a couple of weeks. I am wondering if I should approach them directly about the name and hope that they don't want too much, or see if they will let it expire. My thinking is that if I approach them they will probably want too much, see the value in the name and renew. However if I don't say anything they may possibly let it expire where I would be at the mercy of the marketplace. Any comments would be appreciated.
5:10 pm on Oct 30, 2008 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member



My thinking is that if I approach them they will probably want too much

How much is too much for you?

While your question can only be answered with opinions, knowing, at the least, what your budget is may allow for some more informed opinions.

5:11 pm on Oct 30, 2008 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Senior Member bwnbwn is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 5+ Year Member



The domain is most likely set for auto renew but ou never know. I would sit back and wait don't be hitting the domain name at all be real careful were you look it up at and wait. If it expires they still has 30-45 days before they lose it and is available for resale or register.
I would wait if it is renewed then approach them in the meantime Backorder it and make the backorder private.
5:39 pm on Oct 30, 2008 (gmt 0)

5+ Year Member



I would not want to pay any more than $1000.00 for the domain, maybe $1500.00 at most.
6:45 pm on Oct 30, 2008 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member



Given that the current registrant is a domainer, I would echo the advice, above, of bwnbwn.

The opportunity cost to the current registrant is less than $10 to renew for a year -- against an offer of $1,000 - $1,500 ... which, to me, would demonstrate that there was "interest/value" in that domain.

I would place backorders with every service that offers them -- and then hope that, if it goes to auction, your top price of $1,500 is enough to be successful.

If they do renew the domain, then you can always send them your best offer.

Others may have different valid points of view.

8:58 pm on Nov 1, 2008 (gmt 0)

5+ Year Member



If I wanted it, I would contact them, offer a few hundred initially. If they let it expire, you face a 75 day wait and a risky chance of getting it when it drops.
<snip>

[edited by: buckworks at 9:19 pm (utc) on Nov. 1, 2008]
[edit reason] Please no URL drops [/edit]

9:12 pm on Nov 1, 2008 (gmt 0)

5+ Year Member



<snip>. Thats the only drawback to waiting to see if it will go on the market. I may have to wait for a few months, when even if I can get it backordered I may end up spending more than if I just contacted the domainer outright.

[edited by: buckworks at 9:20 pm (utc) on Nov. 1, 2008]
[edit reason] Cleaning up [/edit]

7:14 pm on Nov 2, 2008 (gmt 0)

5+ Year Member



like, at the moment I'm hammering a registrar looking for a drop that I expect today. Tried to backorder at godaddy but I was too late.
5:53 pm on Nov 26, 2008 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 5+ Year Member



good names rarely expire.... I waited for a name for 6 months. They renewed it the very last day.
5:57 pm on Nov 26, 2008 (gmt 0)

5+ Year Member



That's exactly what happened in this case. It was renewed the day after it expired.
8:35 pm on Dec 9, 2008 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member



I would put my money on the domain being renewed by the current owners. Just about every single time I've waited for one to expire, it ends up being renewed at the last chance.
 

Featured Threads

Hot Threads This Week

Hot Threads This Month