Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 220.127.116.11
Forum Moderators: bakedjake
Search engine requirements:
* User friendly: search field and a button and the cursor in the search field
* Good help while searching, like typos, alternative words, suggestions
* Cover most common issues and questions
* like google (all words are handles in the AND structure unless when "using double quotes")
* advanced search?
* Search result needs to be clear:
---meaningfull summary(2-3 lines?) with highlights
---rank in stars (not %)
* Search engine chould be able to use...
---enhanced synonyms list (easily extandable)
---stemming (eg. "searches" will find "search")
...but if used let the user know!
* Weightings and ranks factors
---Only use understandable weights (easy to maintain)
* Usage statistics
---top 50 terms and hits so documentation could be improved
---hit list of zero returned search terms to create new documentation
* Must be able to index (crawl) websites, pdfs, (office) documents.
There is also a ton of search engines already available for free so you might want to think of ways your search engine would be different to cover some area the others don't.
The only requirement that matters in the end is that users should find what they are searching for when typing in a query. And not have to wait too long.
...and on the tech side you need to optimize the index to take as little disk space as possible and the indexing algo to be quick and low on CPU/mem usage.
I'm currently actively developing a search engine myself so I have some experience in the field. It's a lot of work, but fun :)