Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 22.214.171.124
Forum Moderators: bill
The problem: ever since installing IE7 (I think...) I've been noticing an increasing level of mysterious "script errors" popping-up in odd places.
It's been very annoying, and has revealed itself over a period of months. It might be a creeping registry rot, or it might simply be because there are many features and programs that I just don't use that often, and so I've slowly noticed the problem in more and more places.
What kind of odd places?
- In quite a number of places in the GUI of Norton Antivirus 2008. Although the product was functional, many part of the GUI did not work - I would get a "script error" and then would have to close the NAV window.
- In any "computer management" function that uses MMC snapins. (For example, managing services.)
- Most recently, in Winamp. I was suddenly unable to use Shoutcast. The list of Shoutcast stations no longer appeared, and as soon as I typed a single letter into the search box, I would get a scripting error.
In my case, the scripting error box was blank for all the details. Line number, etc.
This problem usually occurs only in user accounts. (Even user accounts where the user is an administrator). These errors won't occur if you actually log-in to the built-in Administrator account.
One thing this points out is how far the ugly tenticles of MSIE have reached. More and more, software makers are using MSIE to render their GUI. (I think most/all applications that use the .net library?)
One nasty side-effect of this is that if your web browser somehow gets broken, half your system is now broken!
And apparently one good way to break your web browser is to install MSIE 7!
There's a long and rambling discussion of this at MSDN. MSDN is Microsoft's developer-support program and site.
Internet Explorer Script Error Messages... Lots of them! [forums.microsoft.com]
Warning: one of the "solutions" offered on that thread is quite dangerous. Beware of the one that copies some DLLs from the DLLCache directory. It first deletes the files in Windows\System. Before trying this, make sure first that you DO have copies in DLLCache. I didn't in one case, and had to scrape a copy from my notebook computer!
The solution I found that worked for me is the "SubInACL fix":
Place in a file called "reset.cmd":
cd /d "%programfiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
# Type reset.cmd a
You will need to download subinacl from Microsoft.
The script above goes through various registry hives and directories and insures that the system and administrators have access.
My guess is that the one line that makes the fix is the one that works on HKEY_CURRENT_USER, and that you will need to run this in each damaged account.