Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from

Forum Moderators: buckworks

Message Too Old, No Replies

Non US resident bank account

It seems impossible. Any help?

7:57 pm on Jan 24, 2002 (gmt 0)

Junior Member

10+ Year Member

joined:Oct 14, 2001
votes: 0


Is it possible for a non US resident to open a personal US bank account (interest checking account, for example).

I've emailed 9 banks and all of them rejected my requirement.

I know that the Social Security number can be replaced with a TIN and filling W-8 form.

Anyone knows a bank that open non US residents accounts?


8:10 pm on Jan 24, 2002 (gmt 0)

Senior Member

WebmasterWorld Senior Member tedster is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member

joined:May 26, 2000
votes: 0

It's a touchy thing. Your bank in your home country may be your best resource for help on this, especially if you do your business banking with them.
11:01 am on Jan 26, 2002 (gmt 0)

Senior Member

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member

joined:June 29, 2000
votes: 0

Maybe you can contact a registered agent in Delaware and have them set up both a corporation and a corporate bank account. I don't know for sure that this would work, but I'd check it out. But be careful and be squeaky clean (no illegal commerce like drugs, child pornography or terrorist support and no tax evasion) or you might have the US Feds knocking at your door.
11:28 am on Jan 26, 2002 (gmt 0)

Full Member

10+ Year Member

joined:Dec 7, 2000
votes: 0

I am not aware of your sitution, but I would recommend Bank One (www.bankone.com), they should be able to help you.


2:13 am on Jan 31, 2002 (gmt 0)

New User

10+ Year Member

joined:May 22, 2004
votes: 0

Yes, it's possible. Our aupair from Germany just got a Wells Fargo checking account by showing only her drivers license. She could have used her passport just as easily.
5:00 pm on Feb 14, 2002 (gmt 0)

Junior Member

10+ Year Member

joined:Oct 14, 2001
votes: 0

Thanks to all for your replies.

After searching a lot, I've found that there are three banks that accept non us residents foreign accounts for people without a social security number.

For those who may want to know these are the WellsFargo, Chase Manhattan and Citibank.

Of those three, the Chase Manhattan has the most complete information at its web site. You can even download a PDF with absolutely all the forms you have to fill.

Wells Fargo has also very convenient fees, and less paperwork, but you have to email to a representative.

I didn't check citibank IPB offer, but it seems that has higher fees than the others. But I'm not sure about that.

Hope this info helps and thanks for all your replies :)