Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 18.104.22.168
Forum Moderators: lawman
A moderator and long time friend of WebmasterWorld community has been missing since last saturday the 25th.
If anyone has seen him since then or know of his where abouts, please contact the proper authorities:
Phone number +44 (0)1483 655081
New Orleans P.D. - (504) 821-2222
Atlanta P.D. - (404) 730-5700
Atlanta Missing Persons - 404-853-4235
There is at least something we can do.
Could you try to get something more like a passport photo of Ian, along with a basic description and timneline of events? I would be happy to put a missing person notice on every page of all my sites. Perhaps you could run up a contact form here that we could link to.
2. What efforts have been made to get his image and a missing person's notice broadcast? What results?
3. If there's not uptake by local media to do this voluntarily then I propose we consider buying a few 15 second spots and running an ad in the local papers. Anyone know the cost? Perhaps WW can open a PayPal fund of some kind for contributions to the media buy?
4. Let me know what I can do to help. Time is of the essence. I wish we could come up with a way to place place as many eyes and ears on the ground in New Orleans with an image of Ian in their hand asking questions. I'm prepared to make a contribution to any organization that would spend a day on the street posting missing persons posters.
5. Consistent with #4 - is there a company in New Orleans that is in the business of placing posters for campaigns, etc.? Will the laws permit the posting of missing persons posters?
6. Has the person/company behind NewOrleans.com - who helped sponsor the event - been contacted? Does that person/company have local connections?
7. Has it been confirmed that all local hospitals have been sent an image and contact info for Ian?
8. If NewOrleans.com has a list of local taxi companies has an image of Ian been broadcast to them? Again, if a fund is set up, a contribution to NewOrleans.com - for their aid in this matter - would be in order.
In the course of my law practice and as a local mayor I've had enough contact with law enforcement to confirm that there's simply not enough resources to go around. Therefore, I would not place my hope on the local police but rather on "numbers": More people, being alerted and asked, etc.
I sense the passing of time works against us. If Ian's image is not on the streets, in the local newspaper and on the television let's at least get that done by buying the coverage - immediately.
I see someone in the UK registered IanTurner.com. Is it 'our' Ian? Can someone post his picture and details, so the website address can also be broadcast on local radio? The same website info can be added to posters, etc.
I'd like to think that if anyone can get this done - of saturating the necessary 'market' with detailed info - it's this crowd. This is marketing and advertising of a much higher importance. There's got to be enough talent here to make a difference.
Is there anything more we need to know about possible explanations for his disappearance? Was he depressed? Was he looking for anything in particular in New Orleans? (Jazz club? Cigars? Art?) Has anything remotely akin to this ever happened before? I don't mean to pry - I mean to be effective if there's anything I might do to help. We all don't need to know but my heart goes out to his family and, in a pinch, I'm prepared to travel and organize a 'search party' if that would make a difference. I'm guessing that wouldn't be as effective as using all of our other skills in 'getting the word out'.
Hope I've not offended anyone.
It would be easy to make contacts in New Orleans and get publicity for this - a missing conventioneer in a city built on tourism is big news, I assure you. But is he even missing here? Or in Atlanta? The intitial news was that he missed his connecting flight in Atlanta. I imagine the UK police are sorting all of that out, and hopefully solid information to focus the search for him will be forthcoming.
Who has the New Orleans connections?
I apologize for being forward - I know I'm not in charge here - but let me suggest that the person(s) who are leading the charge contact the local police, ask for the "duty sergeant" (or equivalent) for every precinct you can get a number for, and ask if there's any officers that are available for performing after hours work. I've had success in this approach when I've had to make service of lawsuit papers on persons in other States that were evading service of process.
Also, local law firms will usually have contact in the local police departments with officers who can perform after hours private investigator type work. Again, their rates are often more reasonable than those who hold themselves out as full-time private eyes. This is supplemental income for off duty officers and they often appreciate the chance to make a few extra dollars doing what comes naturally - sometimes all the more when "it's personal".
I wish Ian well and hope that he turns up alright and safe.
However, I saw the picture of Ian today on top right corner of Forum30.
I didnīt click on it until now. I read "Missing: Ian Turner" and thought that it was just an ad created as such by one of the smart SEO/marketers to trigger clicks.
Maybe its only me. But I wish to suggest a fixed no post thread with subject "Have you seen IanTurner?" on top of the threads of each of the forums at WebmasterWorld.com so that as many fellow members as possible would read it.