I don't use wordpress all that much, so this might be a stupid question, but here goes:
Is there an easy way to make an "article" site using wordpress? I need to move about 100 static pages over, and I want to add new content easily.
1) Can I have a "drill-down" hierarchy to the posts?
If Category A has a subcategory called a1, I don't want that subcategory to show in the category tree unless the user is already on Category 1.
2) Can i show links to the subcategories of the parent category above the posts that are in that parent category?
Is this handled by the theme? Or is it handled by a plugin? Or do I have to create custom post types?
3) How easy is it to sort the posts?
For some categories, I might want to sort the post with the most recent post at the top (which I think is default), some other posts I want them sorted alphabetically by the TITLE of the post
4) Is wordpress really the way to go in doing this? Most of the categories are going to have articles that won't change much if at all, and will rarely get new articles to those categories. However there will be some categories that get lots of new articles regualrly.
5) Is wordpress really secure? I hear all these horror stories of people being hacked through their wordpress sites.
thanks in advance, and I apologize if these questions have already been answered elsewhere?
yes to all of the above - its down to finding the theme and plugins and I'm pretty sure some of the magazine themes will do just what your after - you can also allow guest article writers as that need pre-approved before going live
Your just have to spend a few days hunting for themes .....try checking out thesis as thats very customizable
>> ecurity issues are normally down to WP not the theme
Themes are an integral part of WP and while they do rely on the functions and building blocks provided by WP they can cause security issues on their own because they are allowed to use their own code to create additional functionality.