| 5:33 pm on Oct 18, 2011 (gmt 0)|
It may just be caused by the program taking a very long time to search through the files. Have you tried opening the task manager to see if the process is consuming CPU resources while it seems to be hanging? If this is the case it may just be that the find operation takes that long.
| 6:13 pm on Oct 18, 2011 (gmt 0)|
Yes, looked at that... sometimes the search returns from 'not responding' but the search pane does not appear and obviously no hits when I know for certain hits should be found. Very frustrating.
I've tried narrowing the search to a single dir with limited number of files and it will respond quickly with a ding and that's it, not the usual 0 hits in the search pane, as a matter of fact, the seach pane does not come up at all.
| 6:18 pm on Oct 18, 2011 (gmt 0)|
What type, size, and number of files are you searching?
| 7:35 pm on Oct 18, 2011 (gmt 0)|
Searching file types js, php, shtml, html, xml etc. and they are kb size, small... but I don't think that is the issue. I just installed notepad on my other machine and it works without error. My gut tells me it's not notepad; I hope it's not my harddrive. '''''<---- tears of frustration. Maybe I've configured something wrong... the only thing I've added, some weeks ago, was xdebug.
| 5:08 pm on Oct 26, 2011 (gmt 0)|
If you have both pcs on a lan try and search from the other pc and see if it gives the same problem. I don't know if file size is an issue for search, but I know for sure notepad++ has the problem of loading large files as it tries to load the whole file in memory (like many other editors). So if you try to load a file of several GBs (eg to check something in raw server logs) it takes long time to respond and then it gives an error. And it's beyond me why they insist of loading the whole file you try to open in memory.
| 6:27 pm on Oct 26, 2011 (gmt 0)|
Another alternative is a reinstall of the program in a different path location on the drive. See if it runs properly from there...
| 4:13 pm on Nov 1, 2011 (gmt 0)|
Sorry for the delay in replying to your replies... I had to use a 3rd party uninstaller to remove Notepad++ (and all its respective droppings ;) ,subsequently reinstalled the latest version and viola!, Find and Replace works once again. Next I'll reinstall xdebug once I start PHP development, again. For now, I'm just happy to have N++ back so I can finishing my DOM scripting lessons with ease. Peace.