|Display problems on Amazon and dpReview|
| 8:40 am on Jul 28, 2011 (gmt 0)|
Cracks in the cloud?
I'm noticing problems tonight on both dpReview and Amazon... neither is serving up images, and there are apparently some style sheet problems... in all browsers. Anybody else seeing this? (I'm in the SF Bay Area.)
Conceivably, this could be affecting a lot beyond these two sites.
| 9:11 pm on Jul 28, 2011 (gmt 0)|
I should comment in advance that I'm not at all sure that this belongs in this forum. I originally posted here because two related ecommerce sites were exhibiting the same problem.
This is now looking like a network problem at my end only. If I use the dial-up account which I keep as a backup to connect with the internet, all is fine.
But when I access via DSL, I'm not connecting with the Amazon and dpReview images and style-sheets. They're either on the same server or the same IP range. No indication here that they're being blocked... something I'd normally see if it were happening on my machine.
I checked with a neighbor who's seeing both sites fine. Wondering where to look. As I said, this is affecting all browsers, and I haven't noticed problems connecting with other sites, so this is very specific to the Amazon/dpReview servers.
| 7:19 pm on Jul 29, 2011 (gmt 0)|
< Above thread moved from another location >
I'd originally posted the above in the Ecommerce forum, thinking it was an Amazon cloud problem. I'm now thinking it's a technical issue, perhaps network-related, perhaps not.
Since yesterday, I've noticed another site showing the same behavior... mediapost.com [mediapost.com...]
Checking nominal IPs of the above sites, I find that their hosts are all in geographically different places and not apparently related, but the Amazon-dpReview association makes me think that there might be some network association, at least for the style sheets and images.
Some images on third party ads display fine, and Zappos, also in the Amazon family, seems to have no problems at all. And again, these same sites via dial-up show no problems, which suggests the problem is somewhere in my DSLAM internet access.
I'm running on Windows XP... haven't had time to upgrade to Windows 7. Current "DSL" firewall is what's built into the DSLAM modem, with Malwarebytes on my machine currently set to notify me when it blocks anything. So far, it hasn't indicated any blocking associated with the above sites.
This just happened, btw. Long history on all of the above with no problems at all.