|Mozilla problem with SSI|
Some how MoZilla and F.Fox do not access SSI like IE.
| 3:12 pm on Oct 8, 2006 (gmt 0)|
I have a web site that is working just fine in IE but when you visit it with Mozilla or F.Fox something very different come up.
My page is :
<!--#include virtual="page-header.shtml" -->
<p>My page content</p>
<!--#exec cgi="cgi-bin/my-script.cgi" ----->
<!--#include virtual="page-footer.shtml" -->
When i call my page with Mozilla, I only get the page-header content and the page-footer content, nothing else, but it's fine in IE.
More strange then this is that i have a second website using the same technology and that one is working fine with any browser. This second website is in the same server with the same config.
I've removed meta tags and change this and that, but to be honest, this go way over my knologe.
| 4:28 pm on Oct 8, 2006 (gmt 0)|
Browsers have nothing to do with SSI -- As hinted at by the name, these are Server-side includes and are processed by the server to 'build' the HTML page, which is then sent to the browser, which sees it as a simple static text/html file.
First step: If you have been testing and changing the HTML code, be sure to flush your browsers' cache files -- It's possible your Mozilla browsers are simply you showing you a previously-cached copy of the page -- a copy that was cached while your on-page SSI code was 'broken' in some way.
An easy test would be to remove all the SSI, snd then see if your Mozilla browsers render your <p>Page content</p> stuff. If not, then fix that first.
| 5:45 pm on Oct 8, 2006 (gmt 0)|
Ok, browsers have nothing to do with SSI.
This is not a cached problem, i've check it already.
I've done what you (jdMorgan) advised. Removing SSI and do a <p>My page content</p> saved as test.shtml
This page is fine for all browsers but a bit more complete page code content is not showing.
The SSI page is build fine by the server if is a IE and not with other browsers!
Like i said, I've another SSI website in the same server and there is no problem with it.
Still there is no logic in working fine with IE and not with Mozilla and F.Fox.
The website is in Portuguese but you can check it. Inside the template there sould be some content that is only showing with IE
[edited by: txbakers at 1:29 am (utc) on Oct. 9, 2006]
[edit reason] please no personal URLs- post code instead [/edit]
| 9:39 pm on Oct 8, 2006 (gmt 0)|
Tsk, tsk. You are going to get a slap on the wrist. You are not supposed to post your URLs. But, perhaps not so bad in this case, as who understands Portugese? :)
Anyway, I think your problem doesn't have anything to do with SSH but with parsing of HTML comments.
Here's the line that is getting you in trouble, I think:
|<!-----conteudo aqui ----------> |
While this is perfectly valid HTML, some parsers don't get it right. Do it like this:
|<!-- ---conteudo aqui -------- --> |
Or, you could make sure you have an even number of dashes on both sides. It's a quirk.
Do the same thing to the comment at the end of the block.
| 1:48 pm on Oct 9, 2006 (gmt 0)|
You are right, the number of dashes are responsable for that mess.
Thank you JTARA, and about the URL, sorry it did not come to my mind since that problem was driving me to despair.
Many thanks to webmasterworld.com
| 6:59 pm on Oct 9, 2006 (gmt 0)|
When pages don't render as you expect, it's often useful to use the "view page source" feature of your browser.