homepage Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from
register, free tools, login, search, pro membership, help, library, announcements, recent posts, open posts,
Become a Pro Member

Visit PubCon.com
Home / Forums Index / WebmasterWorld / Professional Webmaster Business Issues
Forum Library, Charter, Moderators: LifeinAsia & httpwebwitch

Professional Webmaster Business Issues Forum

Do you need a License to provide consulting seo services?
Is a license necesssary, does one exist? help.

 1:45 pm on Jul 15, 2007 (gmt 0)

Hi guys, been awhile since i posted. Well, i was wondering,

Q.1. Do you need a License to provide consultation services for seo?

I know there are licenses for certain occupations that provide some *consultation type of business*, but as far as seo, i'm not sure. I researched this and didn't find anything.

Q.2. Do any of you that *run a business and offer seo* have a license of of some sort to provide seo to your clients websites?
Or can anyone just provide the service?

Thanks for your help fellas. I appreciate your help:)

Hope to hear from you soon:)



Matt Probert

 3:10 pm on Jul 15, 2007 (gmt 0)

No, you do not need a license.



 4:06 pm on Jul 15, 2007 (gmt 0)

If you are operating in the United States and have formed a corporation or some sort of legal entity, you will most likely be subject to acquiring a "City Business License". Outside of that, no, there are no licenses required to perform SEO Consulting Services. There should be.


 7:53 pm on Jul 15, 2007 (gmt 0)

Thanks for the help Matt, and pageoneresults:)
I appreciate your time and help:)

I needed to know so i could abide the the laws and regulations of the state, etc. I did research the subject and could not find a thing about seo. So i thought i'd ask here.
Thanks again:)

I have a couple questions. Hope you don't mind:)


Hey guys, i was thinking about offering seo reporting for the clients sites. It would be an analysis of their site on "Paper".

Q.1. So i was wondering, if i offered a seo report for a "fee" would that be considered a "product" and would i need to collect a sales tax and report it in the taxes at the end of the year?

Q.2. Do any of you provide an "seo analysis" on "paper" for a fee and do you report sales tax on it? (If that report is taxable.)
(Would that report have a sales tax?)

I'm unclear on this....

Well, i don't think that the report would have taxes but that's just my opinion. I researched and i have seen sites that offer reports of websites for a fee. So i thought maybe i could analyze their site and offer one aswell for a fee.

Well, Thanks again guys for the help. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to answer:)



 9:39 pm on Jul 15, 2007 (gmt 0)

Sales taxes are paid by the end user.

I do photography for advertising agencies, but I don't charge them sales tax, as they're not the end users. The ad agencies charge their clients--the end users--the sales tax.

Unless you're doing SEO work or consulting for a company that's acting as the middleman for the end user, you need to charge your clients sales tax.


 9:56 pm on Jul 15, 2007 (gmt 0)

Thanks dickbaker:)

Q.1. But is a seo report analysis considered "a product" that will have a sales tax to report at tax time? Since it is a paper based item. It seems More like a service to the consumer and not a product. Will it be reported at tax time?

2. Do any seo's offer this and what do you guys do?

*The business i will run is my own home based biz and only operated by myself. I will be providing seo services to clients. Reports, etc.

Thanks again dickbaker for your help:)
And thank you to all that participate in helping with this discussion:)



 2:41 am on Jul 16, 2007 (gmt 0)

frenzy77, is the sheet of film, or the CD with the image file on it, the "product?" Or is it the image that I produced?

Your time and knowledge are your product, and are thus taxable if you're dealing with the end user of that product.

Don't try to play games with the tax man. The government never runs out of money or time.


 3:48 am on Jul 16, 2007 (gmt 0)

dickbaker, thank you for your help:)

I was just a little confused because someone told me that if i had a consulting type of business, it was not taxable somehow.
And thus i thought that the report would be not taxable since it may be part of the consult. Well, Thank you again very much for your help dickbaker. :) I really appreciate your help:)



 1:15 pm on Jul 16, 2007 (gmt 0)

Your time and knowledge are your product, and are thus taxable if you're dealing with the end user of that product.

No, non-tangible products are non-taxable if I'm not mistaken.

Consulting services are non-taxable.

If you are delivering a "tangible product" and that term is used loosely, then taxation may be applicable.

Matt Probert

 5:29 pm on Jul 16, 2007 (gmt 0)

Sounds like you need to hire an accountant, and a lawyer. They can give you sensible advice.



 9:12 pm on Jul 16, 2007 (gmt 0)

Pageoneresults, I just called my accountant to ask him about this.

His answer was, "it depends."

"Depends upon what?"

"Upon which Department of Revenue agent you talk to."

Then again, this is Wisconsin, where everything is taxed. For example, unflavored water is not subject to sales tax, but flavored water is taxable.

So, frenzy77, perhaps you should talk to an accountant.


 9:47 pm on Jul 16, 2007 (gmt 0)

There is no Sales Tax for SEO (or any other kind of service), but there might be Use Tax involved.

Check with an accountant.


 1:33 pm on Jul 17, 2007 (gmt 0)

can anyone just provide the service?

There's no licence or professional membership for seo services specifically.

Of course you'll be subject to your local laws re registering a business, paying tax etc, but that'll be different depending what country you're in - you haven't said where in the world you are.

Best wishes.


 7:02 pm on Jul 19, 2007 (gmt 0)

Thanks guys for all the advice. You've all been very helpful:) I will need to find a good accountant.

Thanks again fellas:)



 2:46 pm on Jul 20, 2007 (gmt 0)

Hey guys, by the way, when doing your taxes, will i need to be reporting every few months and will the accountant be able to help me figure this out and set this up?

I ask because i have been researching how to pay the taxes and i am a little lost as far as how to set it all up. I went to the gov site and when i finally find an answer, there's another form that is necessary to file.

Such as a 8300 when you get paid an amount that goes over a certain amount.

Q.1. >Will an accountant be able to help me out with setting up what i will need to file every few months and if i will need to use the 8300?(Do any of you guys use that in your seo biz and do you need to file it every time you get a payment like that?)

Thanks guys for all your help:)
I really do appreciate all the advice.



 10:49 pm on Jul 20, 2007 (gmt 0)

with your accountant, make sure he doesnt live in a caravan...

Global Options:
 top home search open messages active posts  

Home / Forums Index / WebmasterWorld / Professional Webmaster Business Issues
rss feed

All trademarks and copyrights held by respective owners. Member comments are owned by the poster.
Home ¦ Free Tools ¦ Terms of Service ¦ Privacy Policy ¦ Report Problem ¦ About ¦ Library ¦ Newsletter
WebmasterWorld is a Developer Shed Community owned by Jim Boykin.
© Webmaster World 1996-2014 all rights reserved