homepage Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 54.205.168.88
register, free tools, login, search, pro membership, help, library, announcements, recent posts, open posts,
Become a Pro Member
Home / Forums Index / WebmasterWorld / Webmaster General
Forum Library, Charter, Moderators: phranque & physics

Webmaster General Forum

    
On HTML emails, what is best practice A) text sizing B) email width?
What is best practise HTML
shiphen




msg:4432535
 1:00 pm on Mar 23, 2012 (gmt 0)

Hi

What is the best way:
A) to size ordinary text is in an HTML email(?)
B) what width should our emails be(?)
There is much debate in the office on this matter!

Backgound:
Many of our emails are sent at font size = 12 pixels - e.g. using

   <font style="font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12px;">

However when arrives is is being rendered in Outlook (2003) at just 7.5 points (which feels pretty darned small to me at least!)

We are currently using a fixed width of 600 pixels for our emails - but what with modern screen resolutions getting higher (particularly on the New iPad 3!)... it is tempting to go higher. Obviously if you too far an simply let the email splurge to full width then the user can end up with very wide lines, which can be v hard to read.

Also my client is promoting highly visual (fairly upmarket) products so images and exact layout are extremely important.

And the trouble with raising text size is that if we do keep the width at 600 pixels, there really isn't much room for the text - particularly if one is using more imaginative layouts with more than one column...

- What is 'best practise'?

- Have any of you guys done any A/B split testing experiment to discover what actually works best for you?

Cheers

J

 

StoutFiles




msg:4432545
 1:20 pm on Mar 23, 2012 (gmt 0)

-Don't used fixed width. Use percentages to accommodate different size screens. If you're worried about it being too wide, use css to set a max-width.

-I've never used a mail client that alters font size. Perhaps you can fix that problem in css as well.

body {font-size:100%;}
h1 {font-size:1em;}

shiphen




msg:4432679
 5:56 pm on Mar 23, 2012 (gmt 0)

> Don't used fixed width.
Do you mean for tables tags?

> Use percentages to accommodate different size screens.
I assume you do NOT mean table tags otherwise you will be wasting screen area on small email browser screens.
Perhaps you mean <TD> tags?

> If you're worried about it being too wide,
> use css to set a max-width.
OK, but how then do you control the width of columns and exact layout of images etc?

shiphen




msg:4432682
 6:01 pm on Mar 23, 2012 (gmt 0)

P.S. What a minute, I thought it was better to use <FONT> tags, rather than CSS for emails. No?

shiphen




msg:4432690
 6:43 pm on Mar 23, 2012 (gmt 0)

PPS.
Okay I've done a bit more reading.
This guy is saying if you want reliable results then use nested tables, and rather than CSS to control layout.

[sitepoint.com...]

StoutFiles




msg:4432709
 7:17 pm on Mar 23, 2012 (gmt 0)

"Do you mean for tables tags?"
Yes.

"Perhaps you mean <TD> tags?"
That as well. Set the table width at, say 95%. Inside the table, set the td width at a % as well. The point being is that the table will expand to the ratio of the viewing area, and not be fixed. Make an HTML page and then shrink/expand your browser viewing area to see how it works.

"OK, but how then do you control the width of columns and exact layout of images etc?"
It won't look exactly the same for every computer, that's the point. If you want it exact use exact measurements.

phranque




msg:4432801
 12:14 am on Mar 24, 2012 (gmt 0)

don't assume images will be displayed - test your email with images off, using both an email client and a webb app.
use inline css.
make sure you include a plain text version.

shiphen




msg:4432953
 1:10 pm on Mar 24, 2012 (gmt 0)

Hi
> don't assume images will be displayed
Good point.

> test your email with images off, using both
> an email client and a webb app.

When you say "web app" rather than an email client, do you mean Gmail/Hotmail/Yahoo or a mobile phone "app" ?

J

phranque




msg:4433140
 5:47 am on Mar 25, 2012 (gmt 0)

i meant gmail/hotmail but you make a good point - i typically use a mobile app to access gmail accounts since it's so hard to switch between accounts using a web browser.

Global Options:
 top home search open messages active posts  
 

Home / Forums Index / WebmasterWorld / Webmaster General
rss feed

All trademarks and copyrights held by respective owners. Member comments are owned by the poster.
Home ¦ Free Tools ¦ Terms of Service ¦ Privacy Policy ¦ Report Problem ¦ About ¦ Library ¦ Newsletter
WebmasterWorld is a Developer Shed Community owned by Jim Boykin.
© Webmaster World 1996-2014 all rights reserved