homepage Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 54.211.235.255
register, free tools, login, search, pro membership, help, library, announcements, recent posts, open posts,
Become a Pro Member
Home / Forums Index / WebmasterWorld / Webmaster General
Forum Library, Charter, Moderators: phranque

Webmaster General Forum

    
Spain doesn't have a whois server?
One of .es domains stopped to work
gcan




msg:4190648
 11:10 pm on Aug 22, 2010 (gmt 0)

Hello,

Today one of my .es domains stopped to work. All websites on the same server are available, except one. I checked everything - my DNS servers are on, the problematic domain is active, everything is OK.

I tried some 20 proxy servers. Some 60% of them can open the website with problematic domain name but the others return errors something like
"name lookup timed out"

I visited dnsreport.com website and when I entered my domain name, the test returned the following result:

Sorry, Spain doesn't have a WHOIS server

What's going on? Any ideas?

 

gcan




msg:4190652
 11:27 pm on Aug 22, 2010 (gmt 0)

checkdns.com says that:

2 DNS servers are online, but the third:

Error fetching SOA from ns3.mydnsserver.com

So, if only 1 of 3 DNS servers have some problem, why the domain can not be resolved?

lammert




msg:4190654
 11:28 pm on Aug 22, 2010 (gmt 0)

Spain has a whois server. It is available via the web interface on www.nic.es [nic.es]. For some reason they don't provide a national whois service on port 4321 which can be queried from command line tools and remote processes though.

<added>
Some 60% of them can open the website with problematic domain name but the others return errors something like "name lookup timed out"

2 DNS servers are online, but the third:
Error fetching SOA from ns3.mydnsserver.com
So, if only 1 of 3 DNS servers have some problem, why the domain can not be resolved?

I think you are close to the solution. The IP addresses of your three DNS servers are assigned on a round robin base to the visitor's browsers. There is a chance of 1 in 3 that they will get the wrongly configured DNS server assigned. This matches with your test that about 60% of your proxy tests succeed but the other 40% fail.
</added>

gcan




msg:4190655
 11:35 pm on Aug 22, 2010 (gmt 0)

Lammert, thank you for your reply.

So far I was thinking that if one DNS server is down, the request will be forwarded to the next DNS server.

Global Options:
 top home search open messages active posts  
 

Home / Forums Index / WebmasterWorld / Webmaster General
rss feed

All trademarks and copyrights held by respective owners. Member comments are owned by the poster.
Home ¦ Free Tools ¦ Terms of Service ¦ Privacy Policy ¦ Report Problem ¦ About ¦ Library ¦ Newsletter
WebmasterWorld is a Developer Shed Community owned by Jim Boykin.
© Webmaster World 1996-2014 all rights reserved