I just decided that I want to make money off internet advertising. Good money.
Now, I know that
1) Everyone wants to do this
2) If it was easy, everyone would be doing it already
3) I am probably not going to earn a lot in the first months or maybe even years, since I do not already have a site with a lot of traffic an visitors
and so on.
But I just want to get started, and for this I would really like some advice from somebody with experience.
My initial plan is this:
1) Make a website about one of the many interests that I have, and to generate some inital content for it
2) Have a forum on the site or some other community structure that will allow users to generate content
3) Somehow generate awareness of the site
Is this plan even good?
I have a lot of quiestions, such as:
1) Which kinds of sites generate the most money from internet ads?
2) What is the fastest way to get to, say, $10/day? What kind of site? What kind of content? etc.
3) Are there any online resources or books about this whole subject?
4) Which kinds of ads are best/easiest/generates most profit? Right now I only know about adsense. What others are there? What other models are there?
In short, I am keeping my dayjob as a software developer (I have a MS in Engineering), but I would like to get into the business of making money on online ads. Eventually, I would like income from this to be a considerable part of my income. How do I start? What do I do?