I'm sure you've seen this headline once or twice.
At our company, we use Brightcove's free service, because we're a smaller company and simply don't have any use for their paid subscriptions. I know there are a lot of angry people out there. I understand that Brightcove needs to make decisions that ensure the future of their company, but they certainly dropped this bombshell on everyone by surprise.
I would like to use this thread to post some alternatives to Brightcove. Here are some of the criteria:
1. Videos must not show up publicly on the company's main site (such as what Youtube does).
2. Players should support advertisements (either served by the company, the subscriber, or both).
3. Service may charge a nominal fee, no more than $100/month.
4. A choice of more than one player is preferable, but not crucial.
5. Unlimited (or close to) storage and bandwidth.
Tough cookie, eh? Well, I know there are some out there, and I bet there will be tons of other services popping up, that will want to fill in the gap left behind by Brightcove's bold move to outprice and effectively cut off their smaller clients.
[edited by: travelin_cat at 3:18 pm (utc) on Nov. 28, 2008]
[edit reason] removed link to commercial product [/edit]