Hits robots.txt (only) 12 to 15 times every day from 184.108.40.206
220.127.116.11 - 18.104.22.168
keyplr are you growing senile ;)
There are multiple threads on this thing, including one in the Apache forum, where the "then noob" wished to convert them to catholicism.
Senile... possibly :)
However, the trusty WW search utility did not return any results with that exact UA and I never read the Apache forum.
Anyway, since you seem well informed, prey tell.
That search is for the IP, not the UA. However, besides my own post, I just see people attesting they block Chinanet. Well so do I... and all of China for that matter. I already knew I blocked it - LOL.
My OP was just to document the UA. I know where it comes from. At least I know where the WHOIS says it comes from.
Point is, China has thousands of server farms, colos, dedi servers, etc just like the rest of the world, except they all get funneled into several China ISPs similar to the way parts of Russia are. Theoretically, IPv6 will help us to identify in a more specific way, but that remains to be seen. If all goes as planned, I will probably take down my wide blocks and be more surgical.
|Theoretically, IPv6 will help us to identify in a more specific way, but that remains to be seen. |
I hope so.
It would sure be nice to be able to break down some the large US provider ranges that are not available via sub-nets.
Funny you should say that. I wasted a lot of time this evening trying to make sense of the monstrosity that is 38. The blasted thing's got humans and robots so closely intertwined there's no separating them, and random bits of Canada subleasing from what should be a US range, and the whole thing is chopped into such teeny little pieces you might as well be in APNIC, and...
Oh, and UAs with escaped quotation marks drive me bonkers because my log-wrangling function can't deal with them so the whole thing gets left out in the cold.
... "-" "\"Mozilla/5.0" "-" has been showing here here since 10/Feb/2012. It seems to have settled into an orbit of 90-180 minutes.
As for the escaped quote, I've also found fully-quoted Opera and even a PHP tag with a quoted system call argument. Turns out my log-wrangler had been choking for a while, too.
So I figured out a regex to capture even escaped quotes within the UA field delimiters. I'll be happy to share...