|SEOing a 2 pages website|
How to SEO a small website
I have a very simple website that has only 2 main pages.
I wonder, what steps can I do to SEO such a simple website?
My todo list is:
- Using a SEO friendly title;
- Using H1,H2,HX tags;
- Including about 5% frequency of the main keywords on the body copy;
- Internally linking the site using keyword anchors;
Is there anything else important? (Please don't mention link building, this is about on site SEO only).
[edited by: tedster at 5:37 pm (utc) on Sep. 13, 2009]
[edit reason] no personal urls, please [/edit]
Hello rlopes, and welcome to the forums.
|Using a SEO friendly title |
To be more exact, give each page a unique and SEO friendly title.
1) Also, give each page a unique meta description that is specific to the page. This will not necessarily help ranking, but if a page does rank, it can sure help what shows in the snippet search engines use - and therefore traffic is better.
2) Do not focus too closely on any exact keyword in the copy. Also use related words and phrases, even those that do not include the keyword. For example a page about wine would be expected to include at least SOME of the phrases "alchoholic beverage, varietal grape, bottle and cork, best vintage" etc.
This is called co-occurrence. Without a natural level of co-occurring phrases, your pages may be seen as spam. An extremely high level of co-occurring phrases may get you penalties, too, so keep the writing to a natural level of exact keywords, stemmed variations of your keywords, and co-occurring phrases.
IMHO, if I had to invest time on SEO'ing a 2-page site it would not stay a 2-page site for long. I would start by expanding the page count.
Besides Tedster's, claus advice is a good one. The best SEO effort has to take into account gaining backlinks, in my view. The more pages and the deeper the subject, the more likely someone will give you a natural link.
Ok, just noticed your comment on on-site only. Sorry.
claus is right, why not expand it to at least half a dozen pages?
There are a lot of easy to add pages to increase the count: about us, privacy statement, contact, direction (for brick and mortars), company history, executive bios.
One I do with all my sites is a 404 page with hybrid of contact info and a user oriented site map.
You mentioned that you had two MAIN pages. What of the others? Are they unworthy of SEO?
If all you got are two pages to work with then lay on the content thick, but not too thick. Go for a wide net of keyphrases (10-15 primary ones) and load the content thick, but not too thick.
Got images? Work those image names logically and flex some image attribute muscle.
Indicate emphasis for your keyphrases; not only in Hx tags, but in your paragraphs using italics, bold, strong, underline, Capitalize once in a while ...
As one earlier poster noted co-occurrence, I use what I call Keyphrase Dynamicability which is very similar. That's basically finding synonymous phrases to use and employing word variables such as using plural forms, altering prefixes and suffixes, morphology, antonyms, abbreviations ...