I am new to the subject of seo, and I would appreciate advice on a few seo questions:
1) For anchor text on incoming links to my site, are 2-3 keywords in one linked anchor text phrase optimal, and is 4-5 keywords in one anchor text phrase too many words? What is the preferred amount of keywords as anchor text in one incoming hypertexted link?
2) Does the above principal apply to my internal links throughout my site?
3) Will I get penalized for having 4-5 keywords in one anchor, and/or will this amount of keywords devalue the incoming link to my site?
4) I know I should get incoming links from high pr sites, but when I go to directories that have high value pr on their main homepage, then once I find the subcategory for my site, the subpage that is appropriate for my site does not always have the same high pr as their homepage. For example, the homepage on a valued directory might have a pr of 6, but my sub category page might have a pr of 0 or 1. Will I still get the high pr value of the directory's homepage to my site even though my incoming link page on that site is low on pr, or is it not worth paying for the link and only get links from the minimal amount of directory sites that have decent pr on the subcategory pages?
5) When getting links from directories, Should I use my more competitive keywords as anchor text in the higher pr directories, and save my lower competitive keywords for anchors in the directories with lower pr value?
6) What is your top 5-10 best directories for me to get links, paid or unpaid? excluding dmoz, I have tried, but it seems impossible to get listed on their site.
[edited by: caveman at 12:59 am (utc) on Jan. 30, 2009]
[edit reason] for readability [/edit]