| Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 220.127.116.11 |
register, free tools, login, search, subscribe, help, library, announcements, recent posts, open posts,
|Accredited PayPal World Seller|
|Magpie, Simplepie, CaRP or other parser?|
Pros and cons of various PHP based RSS parsers
| 10:13 pm on Dec 14, 2010 (gmt 0)|
I put up a news aggregation website that picks up feeds from several blogs, news and other online resources.
My first attempt was using Magpie. It all went together easily and worked as advertised -- but did not have features I wanted, which I found in Simplepie.
The site is now 90% magpie, and I have been working Simplepie in where it works better.
Now I've read a bit about CaRP, (LE and CaRP Evolution), and it seems it may have still more features I want to use.
Before I get too deep into one parser or the other, I'd like to hear what others are using and why.
Some of the features I want to use:
1. Ability to pull multiple feeds and have the items "mashed up" with newest articles first, (SimplePie does this, MagPie doesn't).
2. Ability to control caching on a feed-by-feed basis, (e.g.- pull one feed every 86400 seconds, another every 3600 seconds).
3. Ability to filter and extract items from feeds which match set keywords.
4. Ability to archive and database only certain feed data.
5. Ability to extract img urls, (which I will then pull and run through GD to create thumbnails unless there's a parser that can handle that too).
6. Currently supported by developers would be nice.
7. Does not have to be free. Open source is required, but I have no problem paying for software that is useful.
All trademarks and copyrights held by respective owners. Member comments are owned by the poster.
© Webmaster World 1996-2013 all rights reserved