MarkOly - 2:37 pm on Jun 28, 2013 (gmt 0)
So far so good! I put the new htaccess in place and switched over to the extensionless pages late Wednesday night. I'm looking at my logs and there's no errors at all that could be tied with the htaccess code. Just a few image related errors - a few image file names that I changed - plus the apple-touch-icon.png error, which has been on the bottom of my todo list.
I looked at the 301's and they all seem to be working fine. Googlebot is redirecting to the new pages without any errors. I noticed one of my old incoming links is using the index.htm version of the home page. So I'm glad I put that rule in there. Speed seems to be fine. I'm not noticing any delays on any of the redirects.
As of now, I'm only using #1, #2, #6, and #7 from above. Sometime in the next couple days, I'm going to add a rule for redirecting htm and html to extensionless - plus the rule redirecting trailing slash to non-trailing slash. I'll post the final code when I'm finished adding rules.