librarian - 3:34 pm on Apr 23, 2013 (gmt 0)
I don't know what to say. I want to thank you for all your help but I've decided I have to cool it for a while to give the browsers a chance to forget all tests. The caches have been emptied and the computer rebooted.
Opera seemed to be working with the www to non www which was the only rewrite in the .htaccess file besides the specific ones which had been working. It did have one problem that didn't seem related. The graphics were not showing but the pages were loading.
The other two browsers showed the graphics but with domain/indirect.htm the redirect loop error showed up. I gave up and put the old .htaccess file back again. Suddenly Opera was showing the graphics. The other two lost their redirect loop. The actual site pages were showing in all three browsers.
Over the years I've done all my learning and reseach in WebmasterWorld but I'm going to try and find some good tutorials. There were a couple on Sunday and they had more links to follow. After a while I will try working on the .htaccess file again. I hate defeat.
I want to thank everyone who took the time to help.