kaspencer - 9:51 am on Nov 16, 2012 (gmt 0)
Hello again, PH ...
Last night I completed a detailed look at what I was trying to do with Apache2, but using an absolutely minimal installation of the OS and of Apache2.
I am glad to say that I made progress. I will probably not be able to do much more now until Tuesday of next week as social things will get in the way of web development. However, it seems that there are some things concerning the log files which Apache2 is unable to trap if they are not quite right - they are the cause of the SIGTERMs.
On Tuesday I shall complete the tests on the minimal installation and then try to implement my changes on a full system (possible after a full re-installation of absolutely everything because I suspect that the existing full installation may have been damaged by the events).
I will report back after that.
Many thanks again for your interest and help ...