A short history. My site has been online since 2001. For a year, it used .html extension. Then I discovered the sheer glee of includes and it's been .shtml ever since. I have long wanted to switch to .php, but have avoided it due to the feeling that in another few years, I'll be doing the same again and that "there has to be a better way".
So I'm now thinking of going extensionless. Would the following be more or less what I have to do:
1. change all extensions to .php because that's the technology I want to use.
2. change all internal links (on my menu, for example) to similar to example.com/faq, without extensions
3. add mod rewrite to my htaccess file to redirect all requests for faq.html, faq.shtml and faq.php to /faq
couple of noob questions about this:
1. with extensionless URLs, does the browser know what content is being served up? There won't be any problems with file types?
2. If I 301 redirect, will there be any search engine fallout? The site is performing strongly in google/bing and I am terrified of throwing a spanner into all of that.
I've found this thread: [webmasterworld.com...]
which seems a good technical place to start, just wanted a few of these questions cleared up first.