Well, "The problem is almost never writing the code" ... for you!
Now let me try specify what I need...
1> I don't need anymore the old strings attached to my old URL
They were all attached to "template.asp" and the names of the parameters were "page=" (always there) and "title=" (sometimes there)
And all those old URL are beeing redirected to new ones, as we did: without their parameters, that is fine.
2> In my new site URL, I want to accepts certain strings:
- Adwords strings look like "?gclid=" and the value can be anything, generated for each clic by Adwords
- Google Analytics strings: "utm_source=", "utm_medium=", "utm_term=", "utm_content=", "utm_campaign=" , with values defined on the go during campaigns.
- MSN Adcenter strings: seems quite complex to define systematically as one may name the parameters the way one wants...
- ... what more in the future?
It is probably easier to exclude what I don't want than include what I use.
The above strings may be attached to any page of the site - so any URL WP has generated with nice URL ending "/name-of-page-or-category" or possibly "/name-of-page-or-category/" (or even "/name-of-page-or-category/index.php"?)". That is the homepage, WP pages, and also e-commerce categories and products.
3> Additionnally, I could try avoid displaying "products pages" that are not meant to display(I only normally display "subcategories"), but are generated wy e-commerce plugin and do exist.
For example I display
http://www.atable.com/traiteur/petits-dejeuners/brunchs/ with 3 products inside,
and should not display an individual product:
With WP, all my pages are like:
All my subcategories are under the follwoing style:
Except one that goes 3 directories down:
While I discover e-commerce plugin lets the products display (which should not) under:
So a rule that would redirect 3rd directory request after "/traiteur/" to the parent directory, except if it were under "/traiteur/"buffets-et-cocktails" would do.
But that is little bit too much... and another issue than the strings above.