incrediBILL - 6:55 am on May 3, 2013 (gmt 0)
like using mobile phones near petrol which appears to have no foundation at all.
It's not gasoline that's the problem, it's the vapors ad any spark or static discharge and WHOOSH! assuming the gas isn't vented properly. If there was an issue I'd suspect it's with regular cell phones that have actual buttons and not smartphones.
You would probably have more risk from a big wooly sweater that generates a lot of static, esp. on a cold day when the air doesn't move much and the vapors settle around the nozzle.
My Dad ran a gas station for 20+ years and I worked there as well and we never saw anything of the sort, no fires, no flash, nada. I think it's a load of nonsense myself. However, common sense is to always ground yourself to the car before touching the pump nozzle regardless which might be why we never saw a problem.
To scare the heck out of people my dad used to toss a lit match into a bucket of gasoline and it would actually put the match out. First, use diesel, not too many fumes which are what ignite, or use regular on a cold day. The bucket would catch every now and then but it you used a nice heavy wooden match that you could fling straight into the gas it just went out >PFFFT!< while people were running and screaming away :)
Then there's the old wive's tale of watered down gas which is idiotic as water and gas don't mix plus the nonsense about not pumping gas when the tank is being filled. The only way you'll ever get water, and there is almost always condensation inside the tank so there is water, is when the tank is bone dry and it's sucking out the last of the crud but the gravel and other stuff being sucked out will kill your car worse than the water. The reality is don't pump gas from an empty tank as you'll get dregs, period.
Speaking of antiques, my dad use antique adding machines and cash registers at his biz in the 70s/80s and they were in perfect working order, probably fetch a good dime today.
This thread is amusing me today of all days as you would think stuff over 100 years old would be worth something wouldn't you? Well age has nothing to do with value as I got my old stamp collection appraised today and my 1890s stamps weren't worth the page they were affixed to in the book. Coins were about the same, my 1964 mint set was about the only thing of value. Guess I'll either give it all to the grandkids or put it on craigslist and let some schmuck looking to kill time come take it off my hands so it doesn't clutter my house anymore.
It appears the real collectors have all vanished these days because, unlike in the 60s-80s, we now have the internet, video games and a bazillion TV channels and people that used to be bored to tears and become hobbyists now sit on their butts in front of a glowing screen and all that hobby stuff is now worthless because nobody buys it unless it's truly rare and unique.
In other words, I missed my window to sell and it's now just junk.