vincevincevince - 2:41 am on May 25, 2008 (gmt 0) This is what will happen if you put adsense on the site:
Terrible terrible idea. Government services should never have advertising for private industry. I suggest that if ads are required then they are internally sold and budgeted. For example, one part of government running a road safety campaign could internally purchase ads from the site. In that way it would be all government services and information, and paid for out of the awareness-raising budgets of other government initiatives.
with any extra $$ --if there were some-- to the department's general budget
Typical short-sighted government. If something they do brings in income, every dollar of it should go to lowering taxes next year.
1. Public backlash gets picked up by newspapers who smell story
2. Shady journalist purchases high CPM site targetted ads for abortion clinics, prostitution, strip clubs and maybe even terrorist information sites
3. Major news item, probably national by now, about the government website which is selling sex or training terrorists
4. This will definitely be used by the political opposition who will make pledges about removing all ads from government sites
5. Editorial discussion mentions the dangers of Adsense, including click fraud amongst other things
6. Countless annoyed people suddenly get a great idea and click unrelentingly on the ads
7. Most likely, your relative will be out of a job
8. Most certainly, the Adsense account will be terminated
This is what will happen if you put adsense on the site: