SevenCubed - 12:16 am on Oct 11, 2013 (gmt 0)
Resolved. I'm exhausted.
And there's no need to update the thread title or subtitle. The issue did in fact revolve around the person sending updates to the wrong folder but it wasn't their fault. Nor was it mine. It's a loooooong story not worth getting into dating back to prior to moving the site from the old host where someone (who knew very little about web directories) had managed to created about 6 versions of the site by copying it inside of itself as well as outside the domain root. At the time I thought I had managed to untangle the mess prior to migrating it but in fact figured out today that I had missed 2 more copies.
By default there's only supposed to be 1 master .scc file. Turns out there were 3 on the new server. Few weeks ago I had a 33% chance of restoring the right one (not knowing there were 3) after her OS was rebuilt and CoffeeCup reinstalled. Of course because I was only expecting to find one I restored the first one I came across. The wrong one.
So it wasn't a file permissions issue at all.
But, when I was sipping a coffee afterwards I was thinking about how I used to do this for a living 5 days a week in IMAC onsite desktop support. Sometimes up to 4 or 5 cases a day. I don't think I could handle that kind of frustration anymore.