SevenCubed - 1:56 am on Oct 10, 2013 (gmt 0)
The logs were not helpful. I should say log. There's only 1 and it contains some PHP warnings but no error. The warnings had no evidence of failing to write to files.
Soooooo, I was thinking okay it probably isn't related to file permissions afterall. That's probably true because in fact the rest of the store functions fine in every way. It's just that her price updates aren't transferring. That points to maybe a configuration file or two, or three...
At this point I'm going to throw out the name of the application because it has been around a long time and is mainstream so I'm not trying to promote anything here. It's CoffeeCup. I'm doing this because I haven't been able to find any clues elsewhere on the internet as to a potential solution, or even where the root of the problem may be, so maybe someday this might become the go-to-source. Who knows.
I thought about it, and browsed the server directory, and tracked down some xml files containing, guess what, prices! And more importantly a critical file that ends with a .scc file extension that is THE main file for a site.
To speed things up here...it exists in 2 folders on the remote server and has conflicting price data in them, ah ha. I suspect that the person's local copy is updating one but uploading it to the wrong directory on the server.
I think this is going to be the solution but I won't know until I check it out tomorrow. I'll post the results when I know one way or another.
This is a prime reason why I don't like working on websites I didn't assemble, especially something built in a proprietary application. It can be a frustrating challenge at times.
Maybe then, an admin might also be able to change the thread title and subtitle to more appropriately match the symptom and solution. I'll dream it up when/if the time comes.