kellyman - 1:14 pm on Jul 29, 2012 (gmt 0)
Hi Guys posted here a few months back and wanted some best practice feedback
10 weeks ago i changed my domain name, we implemented a straight forward 301 along with canonical fixes
Everything went really well server responses show 301 and the intended page on the new site shows all ok 200
Now 10 weeks on I still have no traffic, this is a 17k page site with the old url's going to their own individual pages.
I just took a subscription in SEOMOZ and found that its showing me nearly 4k 301 when i look at the original page and the redirected page they are identical so not sure if its a reporting glitch or my 301 is chaining some how as there are no 301's on the new site, there are only the canonical elements in the php script
But the question i want to ask is from the old site my developer is adamant that he canonicalises those URLs in the old site before they are sent to the new site even though the new site has the same 301 in place in case anyone does point to the non www (he fixes all the canonical elements and upper-case URLs along with the removal of trailing slash) this is on both the new and old
I would have thought we just did the basic 301 from site a to site b and then on the new site add any canonical element.
10 weeks is a long time without any traffic i am 99% sure theres a problem however everything looks perfect