I'm sure common scores are 83 or 88, as as if there is a benchmark/weighting scheme that makes that reasonably/generally achievable. Any thoughts?
weighted - definitely yes - some sites might take care of one part some of another, making it balance itself out?
see below, and I've only just started..
I started it today, I have 2 x benchmarks, with everything else optimised as best I can without fickering [scottish word for messing] with "core" - I can then have Drupal optimise (as in combine.. not minify) the CSS or not
so without the Drupal optimisation:
YSlow - 85 Pagespeed - 72 Load speed - 1.217 http requests: 34 --- PS score for unused CSS - (72.8) C PS score for Efficient CSS - (0) F
with the Drupal "optimisation" - which is no more than combining the multiple sheets into one:
YSlow - 91 Pagespeed - 84 Load Speed - 1.06 http requests - 14 --- PS score for unused CSS - (59.2) E PS score for Efficient CSS - (0) F
So with no changes to the code whatsoever.. the overall scores increased, page load time decreased as expected (due to optimsation and http requests being reduced) - but the PS 'unused' score has actually decreased while the overall score has increased? - I checked it 10 times! [how can the unused code differ if I haven't changed it? hmm]
I'm using GTMetrix, which gives me history and a combined summary
Bearing in mind, the findings earlier in thread about unused v efficient - I'm not worried about the "unused" , in fact these first pass results almost underline the first findings ;)
so now, I'm going to attempt to combine the sheets by myself by pulling the modules sheets into my theme and make the selectors as efficient as possible at the same time
I'm still getting lots of warnings/penalisation about compressing images - and yes that part of the score does appear to be more heavily weighted - (am ignoring CDN's for now, but am using a fake CDN to split resources.. though that is included with both scores) - the images still giving the "warnings" are mostly all involved in the module CSS files so I'll be dealing with them as I think best, smush, sprite or dataURI as I reach them in my CSS optimisation - I'll just move them first, then I'll run another test by optimising them when they can't be overwritten by an upgrade
info: you can't integrate a module CSS file without changing the image path anyway, and if you were just to optimise a module image to the same location it comes from it would overwrite the next time that module updated - so I think I'm about to learn another lesson ;)
at the end, regardless of the results I will be able to compress the single css file as well, which is more than my Drupal setup can do at the minute, I know it probably could minify too if I looked for YAM (yet another module), however I want to leave this as "vanilla" as possible while I prove or disprove the "efficient" CSS myth! (btw this is now outwith tests, it is happening on a live site. I'm trying to dis/prove it a little more than theoretically just to see if it's worth tweaking those themes - WP, Drupal or Joomla)