LucidSW - 5:53 pm on Jul 12, 2011 (gmt 0)
The size doesn't really matter. But when I get a new client, of any size, I:
1. Try to understand the business, what they do, what they sell.
2. See how they set up their campaign, its organization. What keywords are they using, the ads.
3. Number 2 is almost always done wrong. Keywords too broad, wrong grouping, poor ads. Quality Scores normally low as a result.
4. Check was seems to be working: good scores, good conversions (relatively speaking). Analyze every bit of data in all possible angles. Learn.
5. Plan out the campaign, as if starting from scratch.
Not sure what software could tell you. If someone uses only broad match and short-tail, you'll be able to see that yourself. The trend will not change from campaign to campaign and group to group. Software, and I'm talking database software, not spreadsheet, can only tell you things about the data at a more granular level. But it will just report the data. It won't fix problems. You have to do that.