ChanandlerBong - 9:56 pm on Feb 16, 2010 (gmt 0)
this is a classic "slippery slope" tactic.
You introduce the "feature" in the most innocent way, people get used to it, but what G has now done is get their foot just half an inch into the door.
The price will change, exactly what it gets you will begin to alter too, but people will say "ah, that's been around some time, it's nothing new".
within a couple of years, paying to be on page 1 of the general serps will have slid in under the radar...OK, I'd give it 3 years. Adwords monetizes 10-20% of the acreage on each page - looks like they've had enough of giving the other 80% a free ride.