dstiles - 9:16 pm on Mar 12, 2010 (gmt 0)
That makes sense, then.
I'm glad I followed your suggestion, graeme_p. After another night working on four files for a project, including the one that ran very slow under Quanta, I think it's going to be the one to use.
I've been using ubuntu, specifically Quanta, for programming web site code for several months now. Previously I used HTML-Kit on Windows which was very easy to use but finally annoyed me once too often with its trick of locking up for no obvious reason, preventing me opening new files until re-started.
I have not had that since moving the editing to ubuntu, which I've been using since early 2008. The worst problem initially, apart from Quanta's speed, was opening files across the local (mainly Windows) network (my dev web server is on a local Windows 2000 box). It can still be a problem in some apps but smb4k seems to do the job (when I remember to start it). Once a file is located it seems to be loadable henceforth without smb4k.
A couple of evenings ago I installed this through Synaptic. My fear that I would need to go hunting for some code to use in Terminal to complete the installation, which I've had to do with several Synaptic installs, was unfounded. Select, Install, Bingo!
Setup was familiar - it was much the same as Quanta, which I was already using. Some things I had to make sure were correct are listed below. In some cases I found out too late (worst was default character encoding utf8: I had to revert to an older document to recover that one).
Beware line endings if editing Windows files.
Set correct character encoding (Tools menu, oddly) - default is utf8. Luckily I had a copy of the file open in Windows that I could write over the top of the newly corrupted one. I found I had to modify the encoding for all open files and have to change it for each new file loaded. I set the coding to Western 8259-1. (Whilst proof-reading this I had another look and tracked down where to set the default: in the Files section, not where I was looking in the Fonts section.)
For some reason "Warn if files updated by foreign app" didn't work. I assume because it's cross-platform (file on Windows machine) or across-network (using smb4k). Confusingly, saving files in Kate doesn't trigger the Windows app's warning, although Quanta does. (Windows one seems to be erratic: seems to be, if the Windows copy is open before the Kate copy there is no update warning, otherwise it works.)
I removed all of the top toolbars except the files and undo sections (see Tab Bar below). They were confusing, unlikely to be used (by me) and I prefer the increased editing space.
Folders/Files down left side of screen is fine but I'm used to it on the right. Minor irritation only. (Quanta's is on the right and Bluefish can be moved.) Just found the trigger to open/close the left file list window. Great!
I added the plug-in Tab Bar Extension to get an easy file-selector. Be nice if this was on a line of its own, preferably along the bottom: I moved some unwanted toolbar icons out of the way to make room for it. On later loading of a new file the removed toolbar objects reappeared, even though they were not in the toolbar settings. This may have been due to not killing/reloading Kate but not tested that as yet (just discovered if I move to a tab opened before I set up the tab bar the toolbar objects go away, then come back on the new page: looks like a bug).
As with SOME other ubuntu apps (including gedit, Quanta) using the numbers-pad arrow keys with the shift key for highlighting entered numbers instead. Very annoying and possibly the most irritating feature of Linux.
Inclusion of an ASP template was much appreciated. I had to track one down for Bluefish and then spend ages modifying it to make it work - I never did get it as I wanted it. I'm still tweaking colours but that's easy.
I haven't yet set up/used a Session. I've never worked that way before. Whether I will now I'm not sure.
Code folding is something I remember from when it was first invented. Failed to see the point then but maybe I'll try it later. Certainly it's something I haven't seen in any of the other editors I've used recently.
I had one near-accident last night when saving a file to the dev server failed. I recovered the data using Save As. For now I've enabled Backu On Save - something I've never needed before. Hopefully I will be able to turn this off soon because it clutters up the web site folders with copies (can't find anything to say "Save backups here").
All in all, I'm happy with Kate. Thank you for introducing me to her, graeme_p. :)