Ohno, I did a number of informational searches on potentially commercial topics just now and got Google SERPs that:
- In several cases, had no ads at all.
- In one other case, had about half a dozen ads across the top.
- In another case, had a few ads in the right column.
I also did a number of overtly commercial searches with varying results:
- A couple of the SERPS had Google Product Search listings and other ads above or to the right of the "10 blue links," but...
- One was a pure organic search page, and...
- Several others had only a few text ads above and/or to the right of the organic results.
In other words, some of the SERPs (both informational and commercial) looked almost like the "10 blue organic links" pages of days gone by, and nearly all were lacking in the Universal Search clutter that we almost take for granted these days.
Maybe Google is testing layouts as well as rankings?