CaptainSalad2 - 1:00 pm on Sep 7, 2013 (gmt 0)
at least from my recent experiment.... .
I built 2 websites to test a theory 4-5 months back now
Site A and B target “widget services in KEYOWORD TOWN”
Both sites are in the same service industry and target a particular service in a town, both towns are of the same size/population.
Site A & B both have the following in common:
1) Mobile responsive (recently)
2) W3C compliance
3) Original hand written content, (both sites different text/photos)
4) 10 pages of content, none less than 300 words per page (much more than any competitor)
5) Both score 90% (desktop) and 99% (mobile) on Googles page speed test
6) Both sites use the same design layout/design that are hand coded custom designed by me to for a unique look associated with the service, not word press templates.
7) Both sites score 100% relevance for page title to page content
8) Both sites have around a keyword density of 3% when tested.
9) Both sites canonical URL
10) Both sites EMD
11) Both site domain age the same
12) Both domain names registered for 10 yrs, no hidden whois info
13) Both linked to facebook/twitter/pintrest accounts that are updated
Now the one difference, on site A I have built backlinks, on site B I have not.
Result 4 months in:
Site A (with backlinks) is #1 Page one
Site B is #7 Page 3
I don't want to build any links, but with services like these no one would "link naturally" to such a site even before everyone was scared to link to anything, so people in these areas are left with 2 choices, remain on page 3 with no business or take a risk and build links. Not much of a choice!